Which headphones?

combination thread.
isleptinthebasement
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Which headphones?

Post by isleptinthebasement »

Hi folks..

I need some headphones for producing music, but not sure which ones to get. I was thinking AKG, but im not sure cause the last AKG's i had, had pretty much no sound bass/low frequency area which makes them bsf got mixing house/techno.

I dont need to be able to master a track, but i need them to be reliable for mixing when producing - even though i was thinking Aiaiai TMA-1? Or is there a pair og AKGs (or another brand) which are good for producing, reliable for mixing and so on? And im pretty much only working with music with a lot of low end, so its important that i can trust them on all frequencies, but especially the low end

My budget is quite big, but the less the better, but i consider it a good investment

Thank you very much

- Louis
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: Which headphones?

Post by John Clees »

what's the range you'd prefer to pay & what is the range that you could pay?
isleptinthebasement
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by isleptinthebasement »

i would say 250USD tops
Alert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alert »

been using these (producing) for a long time; they are within that price range

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770- ... B0016MNAAI

John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Audio Technica ATH-M45 Studio Headphones were designed specifically for professional studio monitoring, with a flat, extended frequency response.
I've been buying these headphones over the past 15-18 years. the model type changed slightly however sometimes they list for $99.00 and I've seen them on sale for as low as $69.00
Alert wrote:been using these (producing) for a long time; they are within that price range
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770- ... B0016MNAAI
funny you should post those. I hated those. those were the one of the two types of headphones I tried to upgrade to only to be completely disappointed. I've used audio-technica for years. I tried to annie up a few years ago, and even was willing to pay double to get a "better" headphones. Typically you cant ever return headphones, and as luck was on my side, as I ended up returning two pairs. - audio-technica ATH-M50x currently list List for $169.00 & the DT 770 PRO list for $229.99

With the DT 770, it was super soft material/fabric which has it's marketing appeal, however dj mixes that I listen to at about half way on the DT 770 would be completely distorted, and heavy bass tones would make the headphones muffled and the terrible "farting"/sound overload noise just listening to regular music. strange, as previously i'd listen to the same mix on my audio-technica and I never head this overload muffled bass tone. I thought perhaps they were damaged, as I headed back to the store to try again.

Next I then decided to go for the upgrade to the Audio-technia ATH-M50x, only to be completely disappointed a second time :-sadflower . I didn't' like those due to the fact they didn't cover the ear. they weren't the closed ear as the style I was so comfortable with for nearly two decades. Paying nearly double, I also didn't notice better sound clarity either. Personally I think they made an upgrade version to compete for the sony silver folding headphones. another high priced / hyped up head phone that was mediocre at best.

Needless to say after two very willing attempts to pay even double for "better" headphones, I've come right back to the original ones I've always bought. Audio Technica ATH-M45. Personally for me anything over $200 a hugh majority is completely just marketing. the value isn't going per dollar at a certain point. Sure they have bell's and whistles and/or so you think, however there are also Dr dre's headphones going close to $450, which I just read cost about $15 to make. So be careful and choose wisely. $100 is exactly the price I can pay, and also not be so worried about headphones if something happens to them either.

with the same amount of money you could go buy two pair. :)

let us know what you decide.
S
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S »

I'd recommend buying second hand with these pricey headphones until you find a pair you like. That way you can just sell them on with little loss or even a profit.

I settled with a pair of second hand hd600s and would highly recommend them.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

S wrote:I second hand hd600s and would highly recommend them.
those look gorgeous!
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

I'm about to upgrade from some ath m-50, and im leaning on these: http://www.focal.com/en/professional-he ... ional.html

General consensus on head-fi and gearslutz is that these are among the best in your price range (maybe a little bit over it, but i think you can find some good deal somewhere).

As good as a soundstage you will find in closed cans, flat FR with good bass and lively but not over empthatized highs. Not to mention they are gorgeus.

Only problem is they have a bit small earpads, so you should try them to see if you can fit your ears in without too much trouble. I'm going to take the plunge. Tough.

Try them before going to akg. They are for sure better than beyer dt 880.

Try to not be fooled in bigger bass headphones being better than some with less, but more realistic representation of bass. Big Bass headphones= mixes that have very little bass. You hear a lot in your cans when in reality there's none. Just my 2c.

Cheers