Monitor Decisions

combination thread.
Harry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Monitor Decisions

Post by Harry »

I've been threatening to buy a pair of monitors for ages now, and I think by the end of the this summer i will of actually done it.

I have a budget of max £500 and I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha HS80 which I know sound great because i've worked on them at a friends house, or the Adam F7 which i have never heard, but i know that Adam Audio are very good at what they do.

I'm working in a room which is about 3.30m x 3.50m, i only mention this because i know that if the room is too small a bigger cone on a speaker can fill it with bass and muffle the low end. So for this reason i'm leaning towards the Adam, with the 7" cone, rather than the 8" on the Yamahas.

Has anyone got any experience with the Adam F7? They're meant to be the more affordable version of the A7X which i've heard very good things about.

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/ ... escription

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/proaud ... ies/hs80m/
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Monitor Decisions

Post by oblioblioblio »

i worked in a room that size for a while using Mackie Hr824 mk2s. it was fucking sh!t. went to play live once and everything was so far off it wasn't funny, might as well have stayed at home. what i thought was mid range was sub bass and I knocked all the drinks off of the bar in the venue. dunno, that whole house was dodgy and bad personal times so that might have been it as well.

maybe try a pair of good headphones? would be sh!t to buy small monitors for the room and then ditch em when you go somewhere else.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

that is a bad size and shape room for a studio.
i'm in exactly the same position, my new room is almost exactly those dimensions, and i also have HR824's which were absolutely perfect in my old studio, but dont work in my new one, but i'm not going to blame the monitors, its purely down to the room.
i'm probably going switch to a different room (my son's bedroom)

you're going to get some horrendous resonances in that room without acoustic treatment.

check out your room dimensions with this mode calculator;
http://www.microscopics.co.uk/blog/2009 ... alculator/
Last edited by steevio on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

The Adam F-series are somewhere between hi-fi speakers and studio monitors - not overly flattering, but the Yamahas will be more clinical

The main thing about the F-series is that they use the same style of tweeter as other Adam monitors and *apparently* sound quite similar, but if you aren't familiar with that sound it might not agree with you. Also, be wary of any product that is marketed towards the hi-fi market - that stuff is great as a secondary reference, but it's almost impossible to know how your sounds will translate in the club if you work primarily on flattering home speakers

If you know you like the Yamaha HS80m why not go with them? I have a pair that I got for quite cheap 2nd hand and they seem to do the trick.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

We now have a sub forum for monitors. You should post in there!

Anyway, I'd take the A5x over the F7. I also read a review which rated the F5 better than the F7. Apparently the F5 has a tighter and more punchy low end.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I love Adam monitors, but i am a bit suspicious of the 'F' range. If you have a decent means of saving money, I would say save up more for monitors... but thats my opinion.

I think if you have heard the Yamaha's and you like them, then get them.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:that is a bad size and shape room for a studio.
i'm in exactly the same position, my new room is almost exactly those dimensions, and i also have HR824's which were absolutely perfect in my old studio, but dont work in my new one, but i'm not going to blame the monitors, its purely down to the room.
i'm probably going switch to a different room (my son's bedroom)

you're going to get some horrendous resonances in that room without acoustic treatment.

check out your room dimensions with this mode calculator;
http://www.microscopics.co.uk/blog/2009 ... alculator/
Lol. What about your son?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
Lol. What about your son?
he can sleep in the shed haha

he gets my studio room, its a bigger room !

i was hoping it would be OK, but even though the other room is a bit smaller its a better shape, more rectangular.