Re: good mixer

combination thread.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Barfunkel wrote: Just wondering, how do you use parametric EQ in a a DJ'ing situation where you don't have much time to muck around? I'm pretty slow at mixing and I'd never be able to use that many extra knobs, my hands are busy enough already. I hardly ever even touch the mid and hi knobs, mostly just use the bass knob when I'm mixing two tracks together.
i couldnt possibly DJ with just a bass knob, i'm not sure many DJs could, but a parametric is probably going a bit far for most DJs. I dont have a problem with it, it wouldnt slow me down at all, its just practice, but i'm happy as long as ive got a low-mid and hi-mid control as well as bass and hi, that way you can clean up the sludge. i probably use the low mid knob for cutting more than anything else when DJing.
but filters are way more useful to me when DJing, thats why i like the 92, analogue filters and 4 band EQ
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

tone-def wrote:
jackbrazzo wrote: Anyone tried the formula sound mixers - I like them :0)
I haven't used the top of the range one. I have used the PM100 and FSM600 and both were sh!t. The EQ doesn't do anything.
Really? Always seemed to work ok for me...
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

tbh I do remember the EQs being fairly weak when using one, only -10dB or so. Not really a dealbreaker but when you're used to modern mixers with strong or full-kill EQs it does require a change in technique.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

simonb wrote:tbh I do remember the EQs being fairly weak when using one, only -10dB or so. Not really a dealbreaker but when you're used to modern mixers with strong or full-kill EQs it does require a change in technique.
I suppose it is due to the Formula One mixers being developed for the big club environment where a -10db is really noticeable.
THey used to use one in Berghain.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Full kill eq'ing sounds really rubbish to me. I don't own a full kill mixer but I never go past the 9 o'clock position with my eq's. If I still need more I bring the fader down. It just sounds much smoother to my ears.
In my opinion, its not the quality of the eq's, but more the impact it seems to have on the music. Back in my vinyl days it was always about getting the tracks to speak to each other, but OTT eq'ing takes so much of the track away that it almost sounds like it isn't even there anymore. There is just a shrill high end or a clunky mid range thing there.
I found my best mixes were the ones where I hardly touched the eq and just used them to subtley highlight certain parts of the mix..

But hey, don't listen to me. Digital, the club/dj scene, pretty much killed Djing for me. I am thinking about getting some vinyl again tho... ;)
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

Digital, the club/dj scene, pretty much killed Djing for me
explain this one. I am playing devils advocate here tho :)
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

It's gonna take so many words to answer that one brazzo, and im on my phone atm (which i hate for this sorta thing)
I will reply when im back at a comp
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i experienced way too much politics as a dj. The first time I ever played live, I was shitting it, had practiced for hours/weeks/years in my bedroom. Had put a set up together with Ableton and a controller.

My mate had booked one of the uni bars for us to do a night. Second track this woman comes up shouting about how we're ruining her night and she can't hear her conversation and all this other crap. My friend came over and explained how hard I'd worked, and she eventually calmed down and partially apologised. But her friend on leaving gave me the wanker sign for literally no reason.

I'd like to say things improved but this territoriality plagued 2/3rds of my djing experiences, and sometimes even more intensely than this.

I'm infinitely happier just doing my own little thing and not doing it for anybody else.