DIY Monitor Stands

combination thread.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

DIY Monitor Stands

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has tried building their own stands for their studio monitors and has some experience to share. Like which materials or designs are best and produce a neutral sound. I never thought much about it before but from what I was just reading your stands can make a big difference. It makes sense I suppose. Each stand will have its own natural resonance frequency and dampening characteristics. My monitors weigh about 30 pounds a piece so the stands would have to be fairly sturdy.

Any interesting information come to mind? Even if its not DIY I am still curious about anything relevant.
shellbound
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: DIY Monitor Stands

Post by shellbound »

Cinder blocks. Cheap and heavy.
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by omnipresence »

I doubt mine are particularly effective from an acoustic point of view, but they the are foam corner blocks that were used as packaging for the monitors when they were in the box. Not hard styrofoam but more squishy but firm packing foam. I have empty CD jewel cases in the inside of a foam "cube" to make them a little more sturdy. Definitely DIY!

I used to have stands that I made out of Lego that propped the monitors up off the table.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

you could buy a PVC tube, 2 square wood pieces and with minimal work you'll have your stands.
Like this guy is showing in this thread:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-b ... -pipe.html

seems to be the quickest and cheapest way to have a nice looking stand. IMPORTANT is that you fill the pipes with sand, otherwise your stands won't decouple your monitors from the ground, eating up some bass.

good luck
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

shellbound wrote:Cinder blocks. Cheap and heavy.
+1
topperanza
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by topperanza »

sorgenkind wrote:you could buy a PVC tube, 2 square wood pieces and with minimal work you'll have your stands.

seems to be the quickest and cheapest way to have a nice looking stand. IMPORTANT is that you fill the pipes with sand, otherwise your stands won't decouple your monitors from the ground, eating up some bass.

good luck

+1 on this, we did it and they're dope!

supermario style!
...the last thing i remember is...

https://soundcloud.com/topper
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

That's a little industrial for me. I don't want to feel like I am living in a construction site.
sorgenkind wrote:you could buy a PVC tube, 2 square wood pieces and with minimal work you'll have your stands.

good luck
That seems to be a very popular design. I have come across it on 4 or 5 sites now. That is probably the one I will end up trying.
shellbound
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by shellbound »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:
That's a little industrial for me. I don't want to feel like I am living in a construction site.
just put something nice over them. i have a couple of brazilian flags draped over mine. i personally couldn't justify spending $200 and up on stands that would be heavy enough to support my HR824 without moving. and all the other diy solutions also didn't seem reasonable enough with the amount of time, effort, and cost of material. i randomly came across a post on gearslutz as well, i think, suggesting this. half an hour later, i was back from the store with ten blocks (though ended up using eight) which cost me under 20 bucks, had set them up, draped them in those flags, and haven't thought about this subject since.

but that PVC tube design looks pretty cool. so if you already have the tools, that certainly would be a good alternative.