Studio Monitor Upgrade

combination thread.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Studio Monitor Upgrade

Post by sorgenkind »

Hades wrote:
sorgenkind wrote:if stands really decouple the speakers from the floor yes, if not you'll have even more problems they'kk suck you energy from the speakers, making lowend thinner and less defined. beware of hollow metal pipes, of which most cheap stands are made of, they'll resonate and in worst case they'll vibrate and you'll hear the vibrations.
either you get good stands or you can build your own, at a fractions of the price: go to the hardware store and buy some bricks, then put some gum between speakers and bricks in oder to avoid scratches. if you buy hollow bricks, or if you go the DYI route with hollow metal pipes, better fill them with sand to stop resonating.
I got a pair of Zaor iso stands.
They weren't exactly cheap, but I really like 'em.
Many of the stands are hardly adjustable in hight, and don't look very stable at all, to be honest. Not to mention the fact they usually look horrible.
Even though the stands should be isolating enough, I still got a pair of recoils inbetween my focals and the stands though.
I honestly think the recoils are a great way to improve the sound of your monitors in a very easy way.
and if you have smaller monitors, it doesn't cost too much to get a pair.
it did however hurt me when I paid for a new pair of recoils for my focals since they are put in landscape view, and those bigger models of recoils are rather pricey.

http://www.studio-furniture.com/stands_isostand.html
I have the zaor monitor stand, natural wood finish. pricey but effective.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

is zaor a reasonably new brand ?
I mean, untill about half a year ago, I had never even heard of them.
they make some beautiful stuff, don't they ?
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

Hades wrote:
lem wrote:
A lot of people on here are gearslutting new soundcards, synths, drum machines and computers. But it means sh!t all if you can't hear whats going on properly.
absolutely, but that also means having a proper room. If your room is utter crap, it won't matter if you get fantastic monitors or not.
This is still a fact many people choose to ignore, unfortunately.
my room is like 15 m^2, rectangular shaped, but I'm positioned with a wall @ 3 meters from the monitors... i was thinking of getting a pair of mackie hd824s or something similar, will that be overkill?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i've got HR824 s and ive got nothing bad to say about them.

my room is small, has windows on 2 walls, has no treatment whatsoever, very poor acoustically, and yet i get almost totally accurate mixes.

i can take a recording out of my studio and it sounds exactly the same on my stereo, my beatbox and in the mastering room where i cut my last record, and required no mastering whatsoever.

i think its too easy to generalise and say, 'small rooms are sh!t' 'dont use big monitors in small rooms' 'get acoustic treatment' whatever, when really it is totally down to your individual circumstances.

on paper my studio shouldnt work, in reality i'm totally happy with it.

if it helps, my monitors are mounted on solid concrete blocks.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

Hades wrote:is zaor a reasonably new brand ?
I mean, untill about half a year ago, I had never even heard of them.
they make some beautiful stuff, don't they ?
i guess they are relatively new in the business.
I got my stands 5 years ago, and at the time they were only making 2 products, the speaker stands and a rack system.

the wood finish they offer is really beautiful, i wish i could buy some zaor racks but no way i'm spendig so much money on studio furniture now, my daughter comes first.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

steevio wrote:i've got HR824 s and ive got nothing bad to say about them.

my room is small, has windows on 2 walls, has no treatment whatsoever, very poor acoustically, and yet i get almost totally accurate mixes.

i can take a recording out of my studio and it sounds exactly the same on my stereo, my beatbox and in the mastering room where i cut my last record, and required no mastering whatsoever.

i think its too easy to generalise and say, 'small rooms are sh!t' 'dont use big monitors in small rooms' 'get acoustic treatment' whatever, when really it is totally down to your individual circumstances.

I think your forgetting your over-experienced ears steevio ;)
I guess your ears are so trained and also so used to your mackie's by now you don't need it,
but users with less mileage are usually far better off with some treatment, even if it's just some basic.

I agree completely with the fact you should only consider it if you might need it.
I did with a pair of mackie's for 8 years before I switched to my focals, and I was totally happy with them.
and I only treated my room after I had redone the whole studio and it was absolutely necessary, cause every kick sounded like someone hitting a djembe (cause I had taken all the unnecessary crap out and suddenly had way too much reverb) :lol:
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

steevio wrote:i've got HR824 s and ive got nothing bad to say about them.

just picked them up today, and i'm totally surprised by the sound of them, never expected the mackies to sound this good in my room. thanks for the advice!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

what did you have before?