Studio Monitor Upgrade

combination thread.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Studio Monitor Upgrade

Post by steevio »

Hades wrote:
I think your forgetting your over-experienced ears steevio ;)
I guess your ears are so trained and also so used to your mackie's by now you don't need it
no such thing bruv, no-one is ever going to be over-experienced.

no, - those monitors sounded right the moment i took them out of the box and put them in the room.

ive had lots of different monitors, but these are the only ones i've ever been totally happy with, and its the worst room ive ever used as a studio. ive had them for ages, i got them when they first came out, it must have been 10 years ago or so. cant remember now.
luco
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by luco »

steevio wrote:i've got HR824 s and ive got nothing bad to say about them.

my room is small, has windows on 2 walls, has no treatment whatsoever, very poor acoustically, and yet i get almost totally accurate mixes.

i can take a recording out of my studio and it sounds exactly the same on my stereo, my beatbox and in the mastering room where i cut my last record, and required no mastering whatsoever.

i think its too easy to generalise and say, 'small rooms are sh!t' 'dont use big monitors in small rooms' 'get acoustic treatment' whatever, when really it is totally down to your individual circumstances.

on paper my studio shouldnt work, in reality i'm totally happy with it.

if it helps, my monitors are mounted on solid concrete blocks.
(-) this is truth staement, room is false, disern the room, be comfy , disern the room :-flower
bip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by bip »

my room is small, has windows on 2 walls, has no treatment whatsoever, very poor acoustically, and yet i get almost totally accurate mixes.

i can take a recording out of my studio and it sounds exactly the same on my stereo, my beatbox and in the mastering room where i cut my last record, and required no mastering whatsoever.

i think its too easy to generalise and say, 'small rooms are sh!t' 'dont use big monitors in small rooms' 'get acoustic treatment' whatever, when really it is totally down to your individual circumstances.

equipment and room treatment help but are not the most important
trial/error experience does
if you have a bad environment, but are used to it you can still be very accurate

equipment is mostly overrated
...::::....::::....::::...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

bip wrote:

if you have a bad environment, but are used to it you can still be very accurate

absolutely agree.

i've mixed in many different rooms, never had much of a problem, never used treatment, but i will say that good monitors are generally a step foward, especially if you've been mixing on hi-fi speakers or really cheap monitors.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

If anything happened to my gear, the only thing I would have to replace would be my monitors.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

lem wrote:Upgrading monitors was the single best thing I ever did for my productions. I know people that have been releasing for years with sh!t supermarket headphones and Hifi stereo's.
But for me, it comnpletely changed my views on production. If, for any reason, I had to buy all my equipment again......
....I would spend the most money on monitors.

A lot of people on here are gearslutting new soundcards, synths, drum machines and computers. But it means sh!t all if you can't hear whats going on properly.
yeah monitors were the big upgrade that really made a difference to my setup.

i went from event tr8s to dynaudios bm6a originals and my music is so much better for it. I always thought my music sounded decent, but it wasnt untill i started to play my own music in clubs that i noticed how bad they were. now my mixes translate perfectly.

I have a really small room as well (6sqm)with no acoustic treatment at all.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

steevio wrote:
Hades wrote:
I think your forgetting your over-experienced ears steevio ;)
I guess your ears are so trained and also so used to your mackie's by now you don't need it
no such thing bruv, no-one is ever going to be over-experienced.

no, - those monitors sounded right the moment i took them out of the box and put them in the room.

ive had lots of different monitors, but these are the only ones i've ever been totally happy with, and its the worst room ive ever used as a studio. ive had them for ages, i got them when they first came out, it must have been 10 years ago or so. cant remember now.
didn't mean over-experienced as "too much experience"
just meant that after so many years your ears have a lot of experience, meaning your ears will help you a lot better in less ideal rooms than people that have less experienced ears.

I still believe in treating your room. even if it's just a little.
if you don't have a problem, then fine,
problem is, most people never really know if they have a problem.
a lot of people would benefit if they'd at least do a test of their room to see where the problems might be. if they chose to ignore it, cause maybe they can work around it or whatever, then fine, great for them.
but I simply can't do that, I'm too anal about sound :lol:
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

steevio wrote:
bip wrote:

absolutely agree.

i've mixed in many different rooms, never had much of a problem, never used treatment, but i will say that good monitors are generally a step foward, especially if you've been mixing on hi-fi speakers or really cheap monitors.
exact. i've also worked on hi-fi speakers for years, for working on liveacts it wasn't so bad, with a decent soundcheck i always had good surprises when i played out on big pa's in clubs. but the mixdowns of my tracks were disastrous.
switched then to mid-low end monitors, really nothing special, and years after i can imagine how a mixdown translates after mastering (also depends who does it) even if i don't hear everything. sometimes compare with different headphones, or render a temporary mixdown and listen to it in the morning, with fresh ears, on a couple of different systems. it takes more time, but it works.
of course a well treated room with hi end monitors would not hurt, i could probably work faster, but would have to learn again.