Studio Monitor Upgrade

combination thread.
hNRk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Studio Monitor Upgrade

Post by hNRk »

for simplification lets assume the room is allright.
Your not going like this=================> keep going=================> production technique over monitor upgrade. this place is erie
definitely agree! and im not planning on relying on monitors. surely im trying to improve my production techniques. but i am wondering how much of an enhancer good monitors would be. and especially how much of difference an upgrade from the hs 80 to adam a8 or sth comparable for instance would make??
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

AK wrote:In contrast to what phase ghost said, I'd avoid 8" woofers if you are in a small room, when the low end is overwhelming, you can't hear sh!t else. Monitors are really only as good as the room you put them in, maybe treat your room and/or give some thought into what monitors would sensibly work in them. I could spend thousands on top flight monitors but it's not gonna mean jack sh!t if my room is terrible. And currently, it probably is. :lol:
small room and big monitors is a no go.

it happened to me... had to leave the old studio and found a new one which is 10 square meter smaller than the old one, i'm having troubles getting a mix right since I'm in the new studio, since it's too small for the speakers i have (ADAM P33A, no longer in production), they go as low as 43 Hz but I whish I had kept my old shitty yamaha msp5 they would have done a better job in the small room i have now. still trying to figure out the best way to treat the room, I'll have to do some basstraps in order to control the low end, which is a big mess at the moment.
hNRk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hNRk »

what do you consider a small room?

mine is probaly 5*5 m...
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

I've done years with a pair of Mackie HR624's, which were ok but nothing great either,
and upgraded a few months ago to a pair of Focal Twin 6BE's.
(and I'm getting a sub for them next month)

monitors and soundcard are things where you should never cut corners.
always get the best monitors you can afford,
but make sure your room is ok, otherwise it's totally pointless.
honestly, no room is acoustically perfect, but some are real nightmares, and chances are big you don't know if you never did a test.
I treated my room when I redid the studio about 1,5 years ago,
and although in general it's quite ok acoustically now that it's treated, there's still some bass notes that sound louder than others.
nothing too serious, but it's still driving me nuts thinking about it.
and if I hadn't run a simple staircase test, I would've never known either.

btw, another good thing to consider are these :
primacoustic recoil stabilizers

they make 400 euro's monitors sound like 600 euro's, and 600 euro's monitors like they're almost 800 euro's or up. (I'm generalizing here, but you get the point)
honestly, these things seem like a lot of money for what they are, but they do their work perfectly. I had a pair of those for my mackie's before I got my focals, and they made a huge difference !

just my 2cts
konzee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by konzee »

tannoy reveal 501as.... i love them

might get a sub though, not for production persay but for semi-club play back
luco
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by luco »

hNRk wrote:for simplification lets assume the room is allright.
Your not going like this=================> keep going=================> production technique over monitor upgrade. this place is erie
definitely agree! and im not planning on relying on monitors. surely im trying to improve my production techniques. but i am wondering how much of an enhancer good monitors would be. and especially how much of difference an upgrade from the hs 80 to adam a8 or sth comparable for instance would make??

(-) Speakers don't make music.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

but you can't make electronic music without them.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Upgrading monitors was the single best thing I ever did for my productions. I know people that have been releasing for years with sh!t supermarket headphones and Hifi stereo's.
But for me, it comnpletely changed my views on production. If, for any reason, I had to buy all my equipment again......
....I would spend the most money on monitors.

A lot of people on here are gearslutting new soundcards, synths, drum machines and computers. But it means sh!t all if you can't hear whats going on properly.