Monitors / good relation between price and quality??

combination thread.
Mudo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Monitors / good relation between price and quality??

Post by Mudo »

Hey there, my first post talking :) (in others i´ve just put music) (MUDO)

I just wanna buy some monitors with a maximum price of 250€, 300 for producing at home (not to loud) but i´m afraid to make a mistake. can anybody advise me about this ??
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Monitors / good relation between price and quality??

Post by hydrogen »

Hey mudo,

You might try searching the forum for recommendations.

My recommendation would be to save up more money and get a decent pair. Use computer speakers or quality headphones until then. Even a decent hi-fi system could be better than a cheap set of monitors.

Also, consider sound treatment and placement. Build your own bass traps or buy then prefabricated.

You should listen to the set you are planning on buying. Go to your retailer, bring a music disc and test them. Know what you are buying. Listen for a flat even response, and also take into account how much fatigue the monitors have on your ears.

Also be sure to check gearslutz. Check out the low end theory forum there.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

a7s,

if you can't afford them or anything more expensive than them go grab any sort of amp (an 80s stereo will work) then go buy some old 3 ways (12-15inch woofer 3-4 mid range and a lil tweeter) check them out at goodwill/pawn shops (40-50$) will get you too old great sounding speakers. You can find a nice solid state amp usually pretty cheap, 10-15 bucks. I found a pair of speakers and a solid state amp from the 50s outside a church, fully working... they had "upgraded". These things are sweet as butter, they are my home stereo speakers/amp now. So lush. Some of my best mixes have come out of a system like that.

That being said, try and get some good monitors. Out of what I have used, adams, genelecs and dynaudios I went for adams. Dynaudios are also great.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

right now the forum search doesnt work, for posts older than a month.

ontopic: check out the rokit krk series
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Themis wrote:ontopic: check out the rokit krk series
In that budget range, the rokit krk is a good suggestion I would say.
Mudo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Mudo »

hydrogen wrote:Hey mudo,

You might try searching the forum for recommendations.

My recommendation would be to save up more money and get a decent pair. Use computer speakers or quality headphones until then. Even a decent hi-fi system could be better than a cheap set of monitors.

Also, consider sound treatment and placement. Build your own bass traps or buy then prefabricated.

You should listen to the set you are planning on buying. Go to your retailer, bring a music disc and test them. Know what you are buying. Listen for a flat even response, and also take into account how much fatigue the monitors have on your ears.

Thanks man, i will do that
Also be sure to check gearslutz. Check out the low end theory forum there.