Ricardo Villalobos & Loco Dice (Blunder Mix)

- dj/live pa

Moderators: John Clees, Benjamin Fehr, Tim Tor, Thomas Melchior

Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: Ricardo Villalobos & Loco Dice (Blunder Mix)

Post by Themis »

that loco dice is a sellout are not my words.
though i have the opinion that ricardo is not so different.
plays the same partys/festivals, makes the same money, does a whole lot of remixes for everyone who asks which all sound the same.

where do you see the major difference besides nail polish and maybe that you like ricardos music more?
pure_evil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pure_evil »

Style aside(althought thats the main thing) there are plenty of ther differences.

Dice represents that glam dj lifestyle. He loves the attention. Look at all his interviews and ads and what not. Absolute cringe fest. Hes one of those people that talk a lot without saying anything.

Say what u want about ricardo but i dont think hes ever charged £50-£70 for a ticket (dice b2b carola earlier this year) and have the audacity of putting "ITS ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC" on the flyer. :D
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

yeah he represents a DJ Lifestyle you dont like, i get it.

when ricardo played in vienna we payed 30 € so i guess if you get someone of the same caliber for a b2b with him its 60-70 €.
but thats not the point. ricardo charges maybe a bit less than dice, but still over 10k a gig.

but lets not make this about money, cause then ricardo would be definitly the same as dice.

so whats the difference, i think its just image.

people projecting all kinds of stuff on to DJs today.

he just wants to play music, but he has to carry a heavy burden, all the attention and fame.
thats why he lives totally isolated, you cant reach him, only his dearest friends.
but sometimes, if you get really lucky, he comes out of his isolation and you can get a glimpse of his genius sets at some festival.

thats, of course overblown, his image, or what people project onto him.

what i see is someone who works totally wasted every weekend at some festival or club, mostly at night.
he has two guys who carry his 4 bags of vinyl which he doesnt change the whole festival season.
as i read in an interview, he doesnt think about what he plays, he just reaches into his bag, and whatever gives him a good feeling is played.
when the gig is finished and its not in berlin, you are very likely to see people grabbing his bag and running off with him to the airport to reach the next gig.
and in between gigs and festivals he produces remixes for whoever pays him, which have all the "ricardo touch".

for me this sounds not like the life of an artist, this sounds like the life of a low wage worker who has to provide for his family and working two jobs.

compare this to a regular musician, whos plan is to work some years on an album, then do a tour, and then go back and working some years again on an album.
or a painter, who collects impressions and after some years he has some paintings and makes an exhibition.

still the image is, that these big DJs are the most creative and artistic people in the scene.

in reality if you would want to hear an artist who makes art in the form of music, you should not ever go to these big DJs. cause they are in my opinion the most unlikely, to give it to you.

and ricardo is for me in this way the same like loco dice, carola, luciano ect.

it feels like they all think: i dont know why there are people who scream "i love u ricardo" everywhere i go, but lets make the most money out of it before it ends. certainly no one thinks, lets take a break, gather impressions, go back to the studio and create some new art.
pure_evil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pure_evil »

blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

pure_evil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pure_evil »

guess peasants carrying his bags of vinyl got a day off then
MlclmDXXX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MlclmDXXX »

Pretty sure one of those peasants is his relation. I mean he looks identical.