RA.100 - Richie Hawtin

- dj/live pa

Moderators: John Clees, Benjamin Fehr, Tim Tor, Thomas Melchior

aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

shypht wrote: There is something about how a good live PA flows/progresses and builds that appeals to me. When it's well done, it feels like there is a certain methodical/process behind how they build up. However, I hate PA's though where you can clearly tell "Song 1 is over, now lets start Song 2" without much flow/mix between the two. To me, it feels like the equivalent of a DJ playing a record out to just about the end and flicking a crossfader quickly to the next track.
Can't second that. Then every live performance of a band would be exactly the same like putting their latest LP on a turnie in a club. What gets overlooked here is that, if Song 1, Song 2, Song 3 ... are performed really live, with a bunch of synthies and other crazy gear, then they are being performed in a way that is unique to the performance and different to their recorded versions. That kind of live act is imo totally different to djing and ableton usage, were you always rely on prerecorded sequences. When I think about my most intensive musical experiences in the last years then these were (1) supercollider (live), (2) like a tim (live), (3) orgue electronic (live). All were playing song-1, song-2, ... song-n sets.... Definetely, I do dig them, if 1..n are cutting edge.

Nevertheless... It think ableton is a hot thing, and I also appreciate new technologies for musical performance. Though I am still waiting for the ableton set that really convinces me (or maybe better: the ableton user/s that convinces me). So far most ableton sets I heard have too much of that one-(nearly)-endless-song thing. I like diversion, I like breaks, I like suprises. Don't think that the discussed thing (r.h.) will be the one... Didn't give it a try .... if several respectable persons moan about the boredom, well....
shypht wrote: What I think Hawtin is doing with Ableton, is sort of blurring the lines between DJ / producing / Live act. Stripping songs down into basic elements/loops, then re-arranging them in a way that feels more like a live act then a straight up DJ set.
Isn't that what ableton is all about and what (nearly) every user is doing?
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

You're also getting allot of hack-DJ's that just use abeleton to auto beatmatch two tracks and dont do anything more with it.
ParanoidDancer
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by ParanoidDancer »

element.8 wrote:yeah, people might have been doing it before richie, but, sadly enough, most people don't seem to give a sht UNTIL its richie doing it.

i've always hated that the people that do things before richie get zero respect or credit.
In the end it’s all about the music that results from the process. Sure there are probably a lot of people who did something similar or who had similar ideas about DJing. But that doesn’t say anything about the quality of the music or if the music fits your personal taste.

Now to me, the output that Richie creates using these techniques fits my personal taste in music. So although others might have been using similar techniques the music that resulted from that process just wasn’t as good to me.
Metamorphic
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Metamorphic »

element.8 wrote:i've tried three times in two days to listen to this thing, but i don't make it much farther than 10min. in to it.

what a steaming pile of crap. boring, uninspired, and lazy.

dear richie...

do this again plz k thanx bai!

this one was brilliant because it was erm, decks fx and 909 and the real potential of mixing producer skills with DJ skills with playing hot tracks from talented producers..
but throwing loops into tracktor is boring, it can only be boring, and sorry, its just a gimmick with no substance at all...
does our IT guy get props and pop star status for hooking up the routers correctly? Doing the mix like this is exactly the same thing...just a process.
and it sucks because Richie Hawtin is one of the top 3 if not the top DJ in the world...his 2006 DEMF set was unreal, legendary...
myspace.com/metamorphicrecordings
www.metrecs.com
ParanoidDancer
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by ParanoidDancer »

Metamorphic wrote:does our IT guy get props and pop star status for hooking up the routers correctly? Doing the mix like this is exactly the same thing...just a process.
Is there as much creativity in hooking up routers? Using these new tools opens up more options to be creative, not the other way around. In fact you could say beatmatching is not really being creative so traditional DJ's have less time in their set to express themselfs.

Anyway it's not about the proces. Its about opening up new possibilities so we don't have to listen to the same stuff over and over again. Would you really like anothe Decks EFX and a 909? I rather have something new every few years.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

Metamorphic wrote:his 2006 DEMF set was unreal, legendary...

his set at the 2000 demf, closing out the festival? probably one of the most amazing things i've ever seen or heard.
mlnus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mlnus »

Barry Gaj wrote:
element.8 wrote:i found a video of hawtin producing this mix...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8NOxoZ3rZc

LOL....quality

:lol: :twisted:

LMAO !
suli.belarto
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by suli.belarto »

Image[/img]