NETLABEL RECORD ARTWORK - Feedback

- free art
jcb
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

NETLABEL RECORD ARTWORK - Feedback

Post by jcb »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and would like some feedback. As a part of my final year university project I am re-designing and branding netlabel Zimmer Records. I thought it would be interesting to take music which is usually digital, and transform it into a vinyl format, creating new artwork and branding, catering to a different target audience.

As the music is often free, the challenge is to make the artwork desirable enough so people actually buy the records, so I would like some feedback on what you like (or don't). I know there are a lot of vinyl heads on this forum, and sometimes in a shop you listen to a record just because it has interesting artwork. So yeah, let me know what you think. Thanks!

My artwork re-design.

The original artwork, black and white.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: NETLABEL RECORD ARTWORK - Feedback

Post by pafufta816 »

wow these are great ;D.
Antoni753
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Antoni753 »

zimmer are very interesting! 8)
djchuko
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djchuko »

Zimmer's artworks are really cool, but your re-design are simply amazing, good job. ;)
psyCodEd
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by psyCodEd »

yeah indeed. some really nice works mate. great job :)
humeka
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by humeka »

Nice to ask us what we thing, I like the idea.

I like the Celtic Rhythm, Patrick Reith and Phonout covers. It's because they are quite "pure", not too many signs or effects, not too heavy. I generally prefer something going straight to the point.

I'm not really fond of the other covers with the same graphic design mostly because of the color choice and the image itself. Simply not my style.

And I can say I don't like the original design at all. I don't like the draws and the typography.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I don't know. Not sure I like the change. Those strange drawings are one of the things that makes Zimmer pretty unique. They are rather Savlador Dali-esque. Those drawings combined with those bizarre text captions for each release give Zimmer a lot of character and that is something you can't say for many labels, net or otherwise.

From the new stuff I like the Uros Tosicm, Kazoo and the psycosonic ones best. The others are a little generic for my taste. I don't think the see-though Z is working well on lighter backgrounds. There just isn't enough contrast. That elliptic curve / doughnut looking thing is kind of neat though.
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

in total agreement with Shepard... the original art is so weird and unique, and after listening to Zimmer for so many years, that consistency of style is hard for me to let go. and its tough for me to even compare these intricate hand drawn works to the new designs. and i'd say that handcrafted diy aesthetic is a great match for the sounds.

the new stuff isn't bad by any means, but it doesn't really stand out to me, and has no connection to the releases that I can interpret. I will say the upper third block design would suit itself well for vinyl shopping.