Internet, as we knew it in France, is dead

- free art
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

I have tons of mixed feelings about this law, I have to admit I'm not sure what to think;

- first, yes, there needs to be a legal fight agains piracy, even if it's useless!!!!!!!! music and movies cannot be free!

- then I think this law that will never be applied, pirates will always find a way to go around this kinda crap... (see pirated software; have you ever seen a user of a cracked soft be sued for anything???????)

- then, I think the amount of fines for downloaders is ridiculously small (max = 150 euros, which is the equivalent of the price of 6 cds; compare this number to the several hundreds, sometimes thousands of downloaded cds/movies people sometimes have; will that stop them?)

- the only positive point of the law that I can see is that they got rid of the idea of a global licence, which was the worst idea ever for the artists!!!!!!!

- the netlabels' situation is totally clear: everything you download is governed by a licence (cc), which gives you the right to do it; and you have the right to share these files through file sharing networks since the licence says so; no ambiguity at all!

- yeah, the DRM thingy is totally f...ed up...

anyway, weird stuff overall! weird times! and I think it's gonna be like this for a while: as long as the global world of digital media isn't settled down more, weird stuff like this law being voted will happen...
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

i read today that the french goverment applied a law against DRM and such things for ITunes/SonyConnect and such companies..

tricky :O

anyway, the police wont have time chasing you for downloading some mp3s.. hopefully they have better things to do
valor
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by valor »

That's another intresting point... who to fight.

Music, Movies should be in the legal aspect just like drugs are right now in most countries.

If you do drugs in your home? Nothing happen.
If you do drugs in a party? Almost nothing happen
If you are going around the city buying & selling drugs? Go to jail.
If you have a laboratory to produce 10.000 pills per month? Go to jail.

They shouldn't spend time in laws to punish users and instead create police departments focused on piracy to get those people who download for profit.
GRHK.ORG Netlabel Staff.
DJ L'embrouille
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by DJ L'embrouille »

sure police don't have time to pursue all downloaders. certainly, one or two will be judged for the example as always.

if netlabel situation is clear (thanks cyhl for the info), then it's very good thing.

Anyway, the problem is that our government didn't make any effort to encourage this new technology. and, once again, tons of french people will live out of the law.

i really hope that one day people will feel fed up with the majors intention of just making money and not providing good music... and reach the netlabel scene. :wink:
arsdeco
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by arsdeco »

holy sh!t! thanks God that we are in Poland so underdeveloped...:)
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

DJ L'embrouille wrote:sure police don't have time to pursue all downloaders. certainly, one or two will be judged for the example as always.

if netlabel situation is clear (thanks cyhl for the info), then it's very good thing.

Anyway, the problem is that our government didn't make any effort to encourage this new technology. and, once again, tons of french people will live out of the law.

i really hope that one day people will feel fed up with the majors intention of just making money and not providing good music... and reach the netlabel scene. :wink:

Police have time to do anything that makes them look good. If they think making a bunch of "piracy busts" will make them look good, there will be lots of them.
catherine
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by catherine »

it's unfortunate there probably aren't enough of you to riot in the streets like i read about so often these days in france ;-)
i also just heard that mac is pulling out completely from france, has this already taken place? it's insane!
and yes, weird times we are in... it will be interesting to see the outcome of all this is. i hope to god it's not sad. i'm in for revolt.
listen to the quiet voice.