Commercial US site linking netlabel tracks (+ ringtones?)

- free art
dsoul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dsoul »

yes, im in also for sure! its important to be a strong community and that free music is not free at all!!
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

"our" rights are clearly defined by the CC licence we're all using: it states that all the copyrights remain properties of the artist (not the netlabel); from this statement, creating some kind of structure that would defend these rights is an idea that seems logical... but ok, think about it more now!!! how would it work????? to summarize quickly, if you want to defend your rights, you need a lawyer, you need to pay a lawyer (coz they do not work for free); in that case the netlabel society would need to pay that lawyer! how do you pay it? well, the only way is that all the members of this netlabel society would have to pay something... and that's exactly the principle of the existing publishing societies, gema, sacem, ascap etc.; the artists are giving some money to their publishing society so that it will defend their rights! but in the case of netlabels, artists and netlabels are not make any money on their music!!!!! so they're not gonna be able to give anything to the netlabel society.... so it's simply impossible to do! this is a fundamental problem with the netlabel system and the CC licence! and I guess we all have to accept it as it is, there's pretty much no way around it!
shamankick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shamankick »

hello, interesting discussion here

but the main goal , the first one, in my opinion, is not "defending our right" with lawyer.

I'm not sure there is many example of
commercial entity deceive (misuse ?) netlabel material or twisting CC license rules.
To be a respected entity we have to be many members, we need "weight"
and for that a "paid membership" is not a good idea.
It's possible for netlabel to give donation, but i don't think, we can pay for lawyers one of these days.

The goal is to be representative of this scene.
Imagine an association speaking with one voice for 3000 netlabels,
from 100 different country,
representing 10000 artists, releasing 250 000 tracks /year
( it's just example, dummy statistic :lol: )
Many people don't know what is a netlabel, some don't imagine
you can find music freely and legally distributed.
It's about "promotion", we'll see later for prosecution.

Gema, Sacem, Suisa, ascap.... do the same, it's just "lobbying"
It's true, our problem is : we work for peanuts, and money drive this world.
But it can be a good start to know how many we are.

:) sorry for my crappy english
http://www.subflow.net Webradio dedicated to the Netlabel scene. 256Kbs streaming
choenyi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by choenyi »

thank you all for the very interesting discussion. cyhl, you have made perfect points. And I feel that I hear what you're all saying.

I feel that shamankick's idea is in a sense what I was going for--not in creating another layer of organization, but in the sense of appealing to numbers, representation ... possibly many emails to this company if others felt the same.

Of course I don't know how many will end up viewing this post, but if many people write this company (from many countries), it seems that would carry some "weight." It may be romantic, but it seems there is already quite a bit of strength and coherence to the scene just through informal meeting-grounds like this forum and partying :)

cyhl, you are right! I have seen so many times "(c) owned by [label] and [artist]" that I never processed that the license leaves it, ultimately, still with the artist. Thank you for pointing this out.