Netlabel section of mnml...

- free art
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

dunkel wrote:of cours! i seem to forget it sometimes :roll:
hehe, that happens to me all the time too ;)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i usually know to trip about netlabels...but something brings me down and then i see em equal as major labels.
the onyl difference is non profit ,which tend to overcome major labels in quality.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

dunkel wrote:well, it is "real" only for those who can play cd's or mp3's right?

So records aren't real for people who don't have turntables? ;)

Records are fun. MP3's and CD's allow more creativity. All my favourite DJ's (with one or two exceptions) do not use vinyl or not exclusively anyway. I'm not looking for a vinyl debate though.. it's been done over and over
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

plaster wrote:i usually know to trip about netlabels...but something brings me down and then i see em equal as major labels.
the onyl difference is non profit ,which tend to overcome major labels in quality.
Not sure quite what you are trying to say here, worded kind of strangely..

Does bring up a point though... i'd like to see the day when the "netlabel" isn't some free online archive of random "stuff". Yes, there are lots of great netlabels, but as soon as people get away from being stuck on vinyl exclusively and start letting digital technologies become the mainstay, perhaps we can start seeing alot more commercial labels distributed digitally and hopefully upstarts that distribute only digitally. Free is free... people always like getting free stuff, but I'd pay for quality downloads and i'm sure lots of people would. The closest thing we've got are pay music services right now and they all suck, every last one of them... low quality downloads and poor selection. It's about time a bunch of artists, entrepreneurs, engineers and other intelligent people had a party and started making this work. Digital distribution has nothing but advantages, and to be blunt, it pisses me off that most labels don't adopt it - no one should have to drive to a shop or wait for an order to come in when they know something fresh is out there that they want for spinning or even just listening to..
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

fact:

some people think that cd isn't a medium to play on parties.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
dunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dunkel »

i think every label has shity releases, im preety sure with net labeles its easier to make mistakes because it dont cost no money.
lets not forget it's also very expensive to play mp3 (final scrach) or cd's (like cdj?).
however, im sure in a few years electronic music will be sold as files, same as B. Spears' files :wink:
for now lets hope net labels will keep high standarts tempting enough for well known producers and for us djs and music lovers
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

plaster wrote:fact:

some people think that cd isn't a medium to play on parties.
They do.... but all that proves is that some people exist who are too stuborn to seek out or appreciate new tools and advancement in the trade/skillset they pride themselves on being "good at". I've seen/heard sets played exclusively via CD units that would put most vinyl dj's to shame.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

dunkel wrote:i think every label has shity releases, im preety sure with net labeles its easier to make mistakes because it dont cost no money.
lets not forget it's also very expensive to play mp3 (final scrach) or cd's (like cdj?).
however, im sure in a few years electronic music will be sold as files, same as B. Spears' files :wink:
for now lets hope net labels will keep high standarts tempting enough for well known producers and for us djs and music lovers

I agree with your first bit. The point about expense though I'm not sure about... it's expensive to play records too if you want to play on anything half decent.

As far as digital distribution goes, electronic music out of all music should be distributed electronically... isn't it ironic to think that a music based on innovation shys away from such advancements?

Also, let's pretend we all loved B. Spears music... you still can't buy it properly... mainstream or otherwise, it's all designed to be purchased on cd or some physical medium and 3rd party digitial distribution, AT BEST, gives you access to low quality MP3's.