Fabric - Matthew Dear

- wax
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Fabric - Matthew Dear

Post by thomasjaldemark »

Slick, varied production – under his own name and the aliases Jabberjaw, False and Audion – relentless touring, and the backing of Ann Arbor’s super-industrious Ghostly International label have made 27-year-old Texan Matthew Dear part of electronic music’s elite. Recording on Perlon, M_nus and Ghostly offshoot Spectral Sound, he spans a multitude of sub genres, none accurately capturing his style. He was named ‘Artist of the Year’ by agenda-setting music title XLR8R in 2004, his music was described as “interesting and sexy” by Q, and even America’s mainstream media realised something was stirring; after 2003’s Leave Luck to Heaven LP and its ‘little brother’, 2004’s Backstroke, Matthew featured in the New York Times, Entertainment Weekly and Rolling Stone. This Audion project follows last October’s Suckfish LP (“pure baby-making genius,” XLR8R; “a landmark release,” Mixmag).

"The pseudonyms are mainly to organise my own head. Electronic music, as I’m sure everybody knows, can take so many different avenues and there can be so many different genres within genres. Audion came out of a need I was finding in live shows to play harder and more aggressive music. I was just getting a little… I wouldn’t say bored with subtle, minimal stuff, but I realised if you added hard and powerful moments people could lose themselves a lot easier. I think it’s easier for the listener to know what they’re getting into as well. If somebody goes to a shop and they’re looking for a new record, I wouldn’t wanna confuse them if they bought Audion thinking it was gonna sound like my other stuff." – Matthew Dear

On Fabric 27, Matthew has pushed the generally established limits of a compilation, taking parts from various tracks and splicing them together to make new ones. Continually shifting in shape, packed with polyrhythms and drenched in detail, it does many things at once, warping dimensions and growing in personality with every listen. Full of unexpected sounds, recurring themes and ingenious ideas, it moves from subtle through crazed to ecstatic. Like most things it’s best in the dark, though Matthew recommends playing it loudly in a car. Techno was once a faceless music designed to hit you over the head. Now, small-scale superstars like Matthew Dear make it to seep into your subconscious. And like anything designed to shift your reality, it can be highly addictive.

"This mix was a labour of love. The club holds such a high place in my heart and I tried to capture the different corridors a listener can take when there. Sometimes you will hear harder music in one room and walk across the club to another room for deeper, more twisted music. I wanted the mix to reflect the diversity of a Saturday night at Fabric." – Matthew Dear

01 Audion - Off First - Spectral Sound
Mikael Stavöstrand - Mosquito Morpher - Mikael Stavöstrand
02 Lee Curtiss – Ketamine Christmas - Kalimari Musique
03 Robag Wruhme – Wortkabular [Tobi Neumann’s Ricardosingtvocalpercussionundgretadasalphabet Remix] - Musik Krause
04 Mikael Stavöstrand - Body Control - Adjunct Records
05 Butane – How Long Can You Go - Dumb-Unit
Audion – Saks – Spectral Sound
Yamo - I Was A Robot [Jean F. Cochois’ Timewriter Remix] – Holon Records
06 Ruede Hagelstein - Keep Us Away - Lebensfreude Records
07 Sweet N Candy – Tacky Wakeup - Raum…Musik
08 Billy Dalessandro – Come With Me [Jon Gaiser Remix] - Resopal Schallware
09 Claude VonStroke - Deep Throat – Dirty Bird Records
10 Ali Khan – Waterbomb - Leftroom
11 Argy – A Rhino In A Glass Shop - Raum…Musik
12 Body Code – Equidistant - Spectral Sound
Ali Khan – Fudgebuster Beat - Kahlwild
René Breitbarth - Thank You - Treibstoff Recordings
13 Audion – Just A Man - Spectral Sound
Audion – Nothing – Spectral Sound
14 Robert Babicz – Battlestar - Punkt Music
15 Âme – Rej - Sonar Kollektiv
16 Seth Troxler – Blackclap – fxhe Records
17 Ricardo Villalobos – Chromosul - Perlon
18 Vienna Vegetable Orchestra – Ciboulette [Luciano Mix] - Karmarouge Records
Audion – Off Third - Spectral Sound
Dres
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Dres »

15 Âme – Rej - Sonar Kollektiv

I think every single comp I have seen come out in the last couple weeks has had this track. I love it so I am happy to hear it more.
kage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Fabric - Matthew Dear

Post by kage »

Go Seth!!
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »