Release date: December 2010

A1: Mogadishu
A2: Clinton Hill
B1: Liseberg
B2: Who Killed Captain Alex?
B3: It’s vinter, Welcome to Sweden

Label email: studiobarnhus@gmail.com

Links: http://www.studiobarnhus.se/ / http://www.myspace.com/shakarchistraneus

Shakarchi & Stranéus are Faik and Daniel, two BFF:s from Gothenburg who are making some of the most catchy, emotional and well crafted dance music we’ve heard in a while.

Both had been involved in music for a while - Daniel as part of awesome indie rock outfit Punch and Judy, Faik as one of Gothenburg’s busiest DJs - when they started working together at their hometown’s top tapas joint, Mañana.

In between washing dishes and serving up patatas bravas, the boys would burst out short tracks and sound experiments in the makeshift studio they had set up in Mañana’s cloakroom.

They did a few remixes (check out the Breathe remix on Trunkfunk Records!) and a great debut vinyl release for Malmö based Geography Recordings. Now comes their five track EP Dödskallar och korallrev: Studio Barnhus’ second release, the best Swedish house record since Jesper Dahlbäck’s What is The Time Mr. Templar?, something we are immensely proud of being able to release.

The record is dedicated to Faik’s firstborn son Aladdin Shakarchi. Studio Barnhus would like to thank Faik, Daniel, all our Gothenburg buddies and everyone who supported our first release (there’s a few copies left at Clone if you still don’t have it).

Axel Boman, Kornél Kovács, Petter Nordkvist - Studio Barnhus, Stockholm, November 2010

A1: Mogadishu
“Dödskallar och korallrev” kick-starts with this fine party jam. It’s all about That Perfect Piano Riff rolling out over a ridiculously bouncy drum track – and we get an obscure vocal sample too! Spot the original YouTube clip it came from and win a Studio Barnhus gift pack including a night out with Jellybean Benitez and our very own Studio Barnhus branded wet napkin!

A2: Clinton Hill
Dreamy filter disco that sounds like something Alan Braxe might have done, had he been raised on a diet of Gothenburgian “halv special” instead of fromage. Kasta händerna i luften, dumbom!

B1: Liseberg
An ode to Gothenburg’s classic amusement park of the same name, this is four and a half minutes of bittersweet funk that will make your eyes shed tears in a loose schaffel rhythm, and your heart fly high over the enchanting landscapes of Liseberg, brimful of gentle carousels, magical castles and awesome rollercoasters.

B2: Who Killed Captain Alex?
A last minute addition to the EP, this big beautiful banger combines euphoric, intricate melodies with no nonsense house beats in typical Shak’ & Stran’ fashion.

B3: It’s vinter, Welcome to Sweden
The boys let their beloved friend Sabri Johanen (ex-gambler/-car thief/-pimp, current garde manger of Mañana) drop some knowledge on a slow, dizzying hip hop beat. Big up all Mañana massive.
Kornel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Kornel »

Early feedback:

3 Channels: Full Support! I will play 1st and 4th track /Greg

Andrew Grant: Yeah kool stuff... Like the video also :)

Anonym: Dig Mogadishu.

Beaner: Have already charted Clinton Hill. The rest of the record is great too, though!

Boris Werner: Becoming one of my fav labels, it's fresh and exciting :)
Will play Who Killed Capt Alex for shooo!

Brent Roozendaal: Killer release! Beautiful fresh sounds, like all tracks!
Liseberg is my absolute fave. Big stuff! Thanks guys, really wonderful.

Dandy Digital: Love them all! I've seen Mogadishu tilt dancefloors in Amsterdam and I will use it profoundly from now on, gotta be one of the bounciest traxxx of 2010! Liseberg is capturing everyone's hearts wherever I play it, magic! Clinton Hill is a beautiful oasis in any set. Who Killed Captain Alex? is bliss. It's vinter, Welcome to Sverige" is a a dear interlude. Will play them all, A:C:E release!!! <3 +- DD

Dave DK: Great package, difficult to decide what's best, I guess Mogadishu and Clinton Hill fit best for me!

DJ NIBC: Amazing EP!!! Full support from Trunkfunk land!

DJ Yellow: Who Killed... reminded me of early Daft Punk work... Lovely...

Eric De Man: Guys, I just love this!!! Very strong release. Will play to death!

Karotte: Mogadishu is great. Full support.

Marc Gallego: Amazing tracks! Thanks friends.

Marc Lansley: Looking forward to this one!

Melon: Nice tracks.

Sasse: This is killer stuff, more please! Jättebra!

Scott Grooves: Clinton Hill, very groovy.

Sebo K: Sweet release! Especially Mogadishu.

Sierra Sam: Love the Barnhus brothers!!!

Superpitcher: Hello Studio Barnhus, I like your vibes...

Trickski: Only the Swedes can do this, so positive and fun without being cheese! Way to go Barnhus, sweet! Let's play!
Fonque
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Fonque »

A1: Mogadishu - a real hammer! :)
"What is underground? Dig a fucking hole and stick your head in it."

http://www.myspace.com/mrfonk

"yeah, vinyl is real! all these cd's and downloads are bullshit, they aint real."
Leighton Ashcroft