[Contexterrior 030] Bloody Mary - Black Pearl

- wax
patcha
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

[Contexterrior 030] Bloody Mary - Black Pearl

Post by patcha »

Contexterrior is extremely thrilled to release Black Pearl by Bloody Mary – not only is it her debut full-length, but also the first artist album to appear on the label in its seven-year history. Mary presents 11 tracks that explore techno, melodic ambience and haphazard breakbeats, resulting in an album that stays true to the spirit of Contexterrior: dancefloor expediency balanced with unapologetic experimentalism.

More than just a slapdash collection of tracks, Bloody Mary’s album is woven together by a common theme: discovering beauty buried beneath the darkness. This idea of contrast was inspired by the poetry of Charles Baudelaire, especially Les Fleurs du Mal (The Flowers of Evil) from 1857. In this controversial work, he used symbols (jewels, alcohol, lesbians, vampires) to express greater themes of erotic love, decadence and mortality.

Anyone who has seen Bloody Mary work the dancefloor knows that she is more than just a skillful DJ; she is a personality, a force. And with Black Pearl, the case is no different. Mary’s charm infuses every track, finding light within the shadows. The title track (also the album’s first single) perfectly captures the spirit of Baudelaire, with its dynamic, storming beats contrasted by smooth, cinematic strings. What’s more is that her international perspective has informed the music, with the Detroit debris of “Duellum” and the Latin flavor of “Sed Non Satiata”. With production help from her friend Sierra Sam and label boss Jay Haze, plus contributions from Argenis Brito (Señor Coconut, Cadenza), Danton Eeprom (Freak N Chic, Tsuba) and Jona (Get Physical, Planet E), Mary has rounded up an assortment of diverse tracks that manage to cohere into a bigger picture.

12" is out on 20th of April with remixes from Sascha Funke and Jay Haze.

Mary’s original album version begins by blending breakbeat and tribal elements, paving the way for the cinematic strings. This track is true to Contexterrior’s manifesto of releasing music fit for both the dancefloor and the headphones: Its percussive stomp gets bodies moving, while its sweeping strings provides the soundtrack for daydreams.

A1. Black Pearl (Sascha Funke remix)

A2. Black Pearl (Original)

B1. Black Pearl (Jay Haze Edit)

B2. Black Pearl (Sascha Funke Rework)
listen samples here:
http://www.myspace.com/djbloodymary

i like and cant wait 1st of June when album will be released:)
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by zentex »

she's hot!

didn't like the samples though...:(
restore
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by restore »

i like the idea with but it don't touches me so much. Does everybody knows who is the producer of the tracks?
patcha
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by patcha »

restore wrote:i like the idea with but it don't touches me so much. Does everybody knows who is the producer of the tracks?
u dont see what name is on the cd title ?
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

patcha wrote:
restore wrote:i like the idea with but it don't touches me so much. Does everybody knows who is the producer of the tracks?
She is always being co-produced as far as i know. Probably Sierra Sam.
patcha
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by patcha »

SHAP wrote:
patcha wrote:
She is always being co-produced as far as i know. Probably Sierra Sam.
sierra sam indeed + jay haze
Dragonsand
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Dragonsand »

I like the original very much. And concepts are always welcome.
the hairy brain
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by the hairy brain »

Quite like the sound of the new album..

some decent stuff on it..