Post by fader »

"let's be cool, go to berlin and trash trance" :roll:
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

f3d4r wrote:"let's be cool, go to berlin and trash trance" :roll:
Exactly ;)

Honestly. Genre bashing on anyone's part looks very childish. It really does.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

There's nothing different in bashing than praising... it's stating an opinion for whatever reason you feel you need to state an opinion.

In this case, it's a blatently non-innovative brand of music that angers me to the point of informing you all that "trance" sucks and I hate it :)

More so - the pretend "lifestyle" that any trance lover claims to be about... they almost all talk about all that "PLUR" sh!t (sometimes in different words) that even the faint of heart stopped joking about and moved on from in the late 90's. (the "plur" thing is just a pretentious rainbow-fantastic way of suggesting that this "trance" thing is about more fantastic versions of the same themes most music is about...) Furthermore, the trance thing became / co-evolved (or devolved depending on who you are) into mainstream pop music and even THEY have moved on from that thing. From a purely technical standpoint, trance is the most basic of electronic-oriented music. There are finite requirements to make music of it's form. It's based on a very finite formula and the only "innovation" seen anywhere within that type of music is where persons tried to fuse it with other types of music! I won't even bother to dissect the "genre" any further in terms of the actual structure of the music. Anyone who's done the music thing for more than a few years will know what I am talking about (except those that managed to making some bucks off it back when it was more relevant who had obvious motivations to keep going). It's a dead end that only leads to musical death or on a better day, a chance to realize this and turn around and head the other way.

In conclusion, persons of a free world are allowed to enjoy whatever type of music they want to. Criticism comes with the territory and it's everyone's God given right to criticize and challenge people to innovate and seek out innovation.
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

I think that generalized bashing or praising done in haste is not very mature. Then again, I am more so focused on making personal viewpoints, rather than implying that it is 'cool' to like or dislike a certain thing.

Personally, I do not like most of the trance I have listened to. However, I am not going to make comments which blatantly generalize my opinion, that would be very immature of me. Just my view.

In every little niche market, there are purists. Sometimes they are very upfront and general, sometimes they keep it to themselves. I personally find that no good comes out of calling bullshit unto other niche markets, so I don't do it. If 'trance,' as it were, is destined to be a dead end genre, well, then it might be, or it might not, I am not going to judge that. There are many other things which one could consider 'dead end' genres anyhow.

I personally embrace creativity, so I choose to do it. It is not up to me to judge other people's creativity or lack there of.

Remember kids, a punch to the nose will not make it go away ;)

There, I am finished here, that is my view.

Oh, and since this thread seems fairly random and is probably destined for the trash bin, here is a long cat to spice things up.

adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Jesse Somfay wrote:Personally, I do not like most of the trance I have listened to. However, I am not going to make comments which blatantly generalize my opinion, that would be very immature of me. Just my view.

In every little niche market, there are purists. Sometimes they are very upfront and general, sometimes they keep it to themselves. I personally find that no good comes out of calling bullshit unto other niche markets, so I don't do it. If 'trance,' as it were, is destined to be a dead end genre, well, then it might be, or it might not, I am not going to judge that. There are many other things which one could consider 'dead end' genres anyhow.

I personally embrace creativity, so I choose to do it. It is not up to me to judge other people's creativity or lack there of.

Remember kids, a punch to the nose will not make it go away ;)

There, I am finished here, that is my view.
When something goes from being the most popular genre in a sector of music to becoming a "niche", it's hardly prospering. It's not mere coincidence. Destined to be a dead end genre... it might be or it might not? It's not opinion, it's fact that it's gone nowhere and continues to go nowhere. There is only one direction it can go - evolution... and let's face it, that happened about 10 years ago.. it became other forms of music and a few stuck behind and kept doing the old thing, just the same as people stuck on classic house or classic rock. It's not something that can be debated... you can deconstruct it and do a little research and realize these things. If they enjoy that for themselves because of whatever personal reasons or experiences they've had with it, then so be it. I have guilty pleasures of my own. I also realize that some people just like stuff when they hear it and stick with it. But as soon as people start suggesting that it's all something more than what it is, they are wide open for the "punch in the nose" as you called it. I'm not trying to be an ass and certainly not "calling bullshit into a niche genre". I'm just telling it like it is. The same things can be said about a lot of music, but there are very few groups of people that are so hopelessly clinging to their pretentious (and very imaginative) and almost religious beliefs surrounding their favourite music and most disguisting of all - trying to push all that on to others. I wish we were all more like certain breeds of rockers who just crank out their music and enjoy it for what it is.... entertainment, a reason to say "Hell yeah!" and shake your ass... and maybe a way to express more concious thoughts and feelings one has and an opportunity for persons to relate and connect with that.

From a purely music fan and artist perspective though (I don't like to put alot of stock in anything else when talking about music), it can be clearly seen that there is a vast difference between a creatively limited and locked up musical form and anything else. The only people who actually write Trance follow the way that their predecessors made their tracks. The parts are often completely interchangeable and there is no way to create something that people call "Trance" without doing the same things that the others did. Anything else starts to become another kind of music that might sound a bit like the same thing and often won't even sound like trance at all. It's almost entirely people that set out to mimick the trance sound, and that doesn't help anyone regardless of their intent - unless it is to sell music to that niche market.
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

adam wrote:I wish we were all more like certain breeds of rockers who just crank out their music and enjoy it for what it is.... entertainment, a reason to say "Hell yeah!" and shake your ass... and maybe a way to express more concious thoughts and feelings one has and an opportunity for persons to relate and connect with that.
Amen. I won't argue with that :)
Daniel Logikal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Daniel Logikal »

Harthouse circa 1995 peoples :wink: