subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

[SUBT022] Los Ritmos Calientes

Post by subtropical »

SUBT022
Various Artists
Los Ritmos Calientes

Subtropical Records is proud to offer 'Los Ritmos Calientes' It's a five pack miniature compilation born in the urban subtropical streets known for their latin infused, neon sprawl, balmy nightlife and the search for new adventures in clubland. We are talking about Miami of course- the intrepid shores of forbidden twilight. It all began as Miguel Colmenares of Subtropical, Pink Silver and other fine labels teamed up with his best mates for a studio meltdown affair. Luckily for us this midwinter meeting has spawned to completion, five sinister, quirk attackers- dry and insanely mechanical for the stripped Techno fans who like their Techno to remind them of slick micro-house. Miguel, Michael Louis, Harold Fandino and Gabriel Alexander exhibit a sensible, delicate wizardry in the form of ice-cubed textures, contemplative drum work- frothed in subtle musicality, arriving in a tall glass served with crushed cymbals and a twist of citrus bass to round out the flavor. Its rare gems like these that keep the doors of chill tech exploration wedged open and this Miami crew with its international roots reminds us that we can be surprised and caught off guard when we least expect it. Happy head nodding.

SUBT022 is available Today April, 15th at www.beatport.com

www.subtropicalrecords.com

Here is what Miguel had to say when we hit him up recently...

Miguel you have been moving around quite a bit over the past few years. What have been some your favorite stops with regards to the clubbing and the music that we love?

More so than the clubbing it has been the people that I've met that I've really enjoyed. Whether it was in Miami, San Francisco, Berlin, the Netherlands, and even now in the south of Spain I've been really fortunate to meet people with the same love for music that I have. It has really been a treat to find people from all kinds of different backgrounds and lifestyles that are really passionate about what they do. That being said, my favorite stops so far have been San Francisco, Berlin and Málaga/Granada.

Can you tell us a bit about this new EP on Subtropical? Who was involved with this project?

The EP is a collection of music from 4 different people: Michael Ason, Harold Fandino, Gabriel Alexander, and myself. We all met in Miami a few years ago and we've been working on different projects together. On the EP there are two solo tracks by Michael, one by Sonora Buenavista (all 4 of us), one by Sobrepuesto (Mike & Harold), and one by me.

What was the stylistic basis for the sound/concept for this project?

Neither of us have a true musical background, but one way or the other we've found a real passion for music. Another thing that unites all four of us is our Latin background. Whether we are working alone or as a group we are looking for functional grooves with an organic feel and lots of sampling!.

What are you guys using for production these days?

We all have different pieces of hardware. We have a couple of Electribe drum machines, a Monomachine and a Machinedrum by Elektron, a Juno 106, and a few other goodies. When I was living in Miami we used to get together for jam sessions. Nowadays, Mike, Harold, and Gabe get together from time to time and record some parts for me to sequence. The key to our production is that each one of us has a specialty... Mike does great bass work, Gabe does really good keys and melodies, Harold usually does percussion and I sequence a lot of it as well as adding some spices.
Where do you see the sound going over the next few years?

I think for the next couple of years we'll see things going back to basics... there's a House revival going on at the moment. I think Harder techno is also coming back. But in general I think things need to get dirtier.... there's a lot of production that seems "too clean" at times.

Who is really pushing boundaries in your opinion at the moment?

There's a lot of good producers at the moment. Two of my personal favorites are a pair of good friends from Chile. One is Felipe Venegas who is doing very organic polyrhythmic stuff, you'll hear about his release on Immigrant soon. The other one is Hector Pizarro, who lives in Paris, and is making some amazing funky/jazzy tech house, as well as some downtempo/experimental stuff. I also love what Italian producer Lerosa is doing, his music goes back to what I said before about things getting dirtier.

Thanks for the interview Miguel!

Thank you sir!
btw check out our blog www.colectivofuturo.com
colmenares
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by colmenares »

direct link here:

https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/con ... _calientes

hope you guys enjoy this :-)

we had some fun while making it last winter :idea:
Future Collective FTW!