Itiswhatitis Recordings

- wax
suppoz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Itiswhatitis Recordings

Post by suppoz »

I'm a big ol' fan of this quiet label from Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. They've quietly assembled a great roster of 12 releases over the past 3 or 4 years and the label definitely deserves attention.

Mostly Mathew Jonson records or related projects (Cobblestone Jazz), but the early Drumkomputer (Taylor Deupree & Dietrich Schoenemann) records are really fantastic, as is the East/West EP V.1 with Mike Shannon on it.

Anyone else like what this label is doing? Anyone know if they plan to release other artists in the future?

http://www.discogs.com/label/Itiswhatitis+Recordings
http://www.itiswhatitisrecordings.com/

ta,
--s-tephen
.-.-.-.-.:-:___suppoz.com___:-:.-.-.-.-.
-->Techno Sol @ Saucebox, Portland, OR, USA, every Thursday night
-->minimal from the Left Coast, USA.
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Itiswhatitis Recordings

Post by brianc »

suppoz wrote:Anyone else like what this label is doing? Anyone know if they plan to release other artists in the future?
Great stuff all around. As far as I'm concerned, you just can't go wrong with Mathew Jonson.
Dres
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Dres »

I also like a lot of their earlier stuff, but thought they've dropped off a bit after the Typerope EP.

I am sure I will catch flak for this but I have jumped off the MJ bandwagon, seems to me that even though there is nobody else with his sound or vibe, all of his latest records have not distinguished themsleves from the rest of his works. They are a bit samey, if you will.

The only record of his I have bought since Typerope was Love Letter to the Enemy and that's because Octagon was so different and dope.
suppoz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by suppoz »

I actually haven't heard iiwii #11 or #12 yet, but I'm so very taken with "Followed By Angels". It's a slow burner that really locks you in.

I'm really curious to know if they are going to do other artists again or if they're just going to stick with what works; releasing an MJ project every couple of months. My guess is that they have further plans but aren't being terribly active on the release scheduling.

ta,
--s-tephen
.-.-.-.-.:-:___suppoz.com___:-:.-.-.-.-.
-->Techno Sol @ Saucebox, Portland, OR, USA, every Thursday night
-->minimal from the Left Coast, USA.
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

Mathew Jonson does make some good stuff but his releases are a little bit too samey.. I agree.. and they seem to last forever.. maybe my attention span isn't what it used to be but he could make things a bit more intresting.. I definately pull one out when I wanna have a walk around the club to make sure the sound is fine, chat with some friends, watch a movie then come back and still have time to cue the next record.. 8)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Cool label, and cool productions from MJ....
Tic Tac
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Tic Tac »

NR 7 SAYS IT ALL
So much music so little time
Doctor T
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Doctor T »

Cobblestone Jazz "5th Element" (006) blew me away when it first came out... fck, I still love that record.

I was rather dissapointed with their newest "Carl's Cream Cone" however... it just doesn't hold a candle to the first release.

This label is kind of hit or miss with me. It has some tracks that are just un-fucking-believable, but then it has alot that are just blah.