Unreleased music being shared - politics

- wax
yoda
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yoda »

Regarding this losing money etc. issue, this has nothing to do with sharing unreleased tracks. What would it change if your already released songs were traded also? They wouldn't buy it anyway again. It's not about the title to be released or unreleased. Yea unreleased sharing can be more demotivating, but it still ends up in the same category. Some people don't buy it.

The whole internet dloading issue has gone off limits. Even unreleased movies are being shared now. Think about the damage that costs. Some people somehow get a copy and then start sharing.

By the way, if you don't know whom your close friends are and what they can do, what can I really say man. Thats really wierd.

The main issue is to review the whole issue in general. What are the positive and negative effects of this general sharing thing?

Personally I'm in Turkey writing critics about music for 2 magazines plus for my blog and also airing a monthly radio show. As a result, I always need to be in touch with what has been released. What I do is to promote records without those artists or labels even knowing this. I presume most of you don't know Turkish anyway:)

I've listened Lee Curtiss's Raw Material promo set like 3 years ago I guess. I wouldn't have known about him if there was not my American friend. It would almost be impossible for me to know zillions of artists today without the help of Internet. I dloaded tracks from artists and bought the albums that I liked whenever I could find. But this is limited. There was no internet shopping, no beatport or whatever before. I have booked lots of artists just by the help of "illegal" tracks. Those artists may not have been booked to Turkey if there were not those tracks. At least this is the situation for Turkey. We are out of the fucking lovely distribution channels. I pay two cd price for a single cd because of shipping. And I have to say that beatport doesn't give me the satisfaction of buying a cd or 12". Then it comes to the point that I go on a buying spree when I travel to Europe. But buying every 2-3 months doesn't help it very much either.

I had a chat with Jimi Tenor last month in Helsinki and we also talked about this issue. He had the same ideas even though he had to quit Warp because of this low sales issue. It's just that we need the perspective to overview the whole issue in a general manner. Not just personally. He gave me his album that was to be released 1 month later and I reviewed the album only yesterday, 2 days after it was released. I will also promote it on my friends radio show with the permission of Jimi. That is how it should be for me.

The bad side is of course evident. Because of the usage of cd players in sets (thanks to dave clarke also promoting it), people don't buy vinyls or cds since they can find them on high quality on Internet without paying a dime.

Anyway, to cut it short (it's already been very long, sorry), the music industry in general had a huge leap forwards because of the internet and it has some drawbacks as well. Unfortunately nothing in life is "perfect". I just hope that the damage is as little as possible and artists like Lee Curtiss or the labels that support them doesn't get too pissed off to quit the good music they are delivering us. I will continue supporting as I always have been.
lunatik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lunatik »

i feel that if the market buys more physical records, the demand for illegal downloads will diminish... so everybody, go out and buy a record :)
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

and whats more, i hate to see an artist that puts out records, but doesnt buy them. its like they try to play smarter than the rest or sth... playing digital sets and then complaining vinyl sales are low? come on...

practice what you preach!
MicrominiKev
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MicrominiKev »

I have to say I'm pretty demoralized by the amount of piracy I've seen lately. That Radarr forum is probably the tip of the iceberg, but there have been no less than 4 links to my latest EP.

Nearly 3000 people have viewed that thread. That's close to 3000 people who've downloaded my EP, enough to sell out an entire first pressing. From one thread on one forum.

The only wisdom people can share is "there's no way to stop it" so I guess we all have to shrug and wonder whether the people who "appreciate" our music feel that it's not worth $1.99
http://www.myspace.com/iamambivalent

The Nerd Tank Radio Show
with Kevin & Camea

Podcast Available Here
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

MicrominiKev wrote:I have to say I'm pretty demoralized by the amount of piracy I've seen lately. That Radarr forum is probably the tip of the iceberg, but there have been no less than 4 links to my latest EP.
I had the same experience 4-6 months ago, and found out that by thinking way too much on this, life will be depressing, so my advise here would be to not let it destroy your good mood overall. I know exactly how you feel, I had it the same way when I saw a release of mine was downloaded 2.500 times (not a thread viewed, but the stats on the download page), and the release itself had sold 1.200 copies.
MicrominiKev wrote: Nearly 3000 people have viewed that thread. That's close to 3000 people who've downloaded my EP, enough to sell out an entire first pressing. From one thread on one forum.
Exactly, it's depressing to see that kind of numbers. Because 3000 have seen it, doesn't mean they all have downloaded it, let's hope.
MicrominiKev wrote: The only wisdom people can share is "there's no way to stop it" so I guess we all have to shrug and wonder whether the people who "appreciate" our music feel that it's not worth $1.99
You're so right. It's amazing that selling tracks at $1.99 still is too much for people.

But as I wrote, try not to think too much about it, that will only make life a bitch.

and then thumbs up for your minus release, bought it Saturday on Beatport and hammered it in London Saturday and Sunday and it worked!
frisfris
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by frisfris »

MicrominiKev wrote:I have to say I'm pretty demoralized by the amount of piracy I've seen lately. That Radarr forum is probably the tip of the iceberg, but there have been no less than 4 links to my latest EP.

Nearly 3000 people have viewed that thread. That's close to 3000 people who've downloaded my EP, enough to sell out an entire first pressing. From one thread on one forum.

The only wisdom people can share is "there's no way to stop it" so I guess we all have to shrug and wonder whether the people who "appreciate" our music feel that it's not worth $1.99

Its a shame that a big label like m_nus cant do anything to stop at least that piracy message board.or at least find out who its ripping their promo cds and upload it into ftps,servers,links ecc :cry:
another boring electronic musician...
MicrominiKev
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MicrominiKev »

frisfris wrote:

Its a shame that a big label like m_nus cant do anything to stop at least that piracy message board.or at least find out who its ripping their promo cds and upload it into ftps,servers,links ecc :cry:

I know Minus seems big in comparison to some labels, but it's not a big label. It's just a few people who work very very hard. They're not Sony.

Piracy is too big for any one label to stop it. The uploads didn't start until the digital trackes were released, meaning that someone uploaded their purchase, not a promo. The people who do this are just like everyone else on this board. In fact, they might be some of the people on this board. It's ironic that the people who never pay for what they take (tracks, software, etc) probably don't know what it's like to have their hard work stolen like that.
http://www.myspace.com/iamambivalent

The Nerd Tank Radio Show
with Kevin & Camea

Podcast Available Here
dncn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dncn »

true dat.

i should really contribute something here shouldnt i.

ah sod it, ill just go laugh at the DJ Konte thread again ;)