cinch wrote:...IE theres no computer sequencer involved
then for what he uses Ableton?
Sohrab aka Komsomol
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

steevio wrote:i'm a hardware producer.
i mostly use analogue gear, TR909, 2x SH101's, Andromeda A6, Sherman Filterbank, Moogerfooger, TB303, Korg Delta, 301 spaceecho, analogue EQ's / compressors and effects. Soundcraft Ghost desk,and virtual analogs-Nord lead, Nord 3, Access Virus B,
i would love to just use hardware for performance and production but finding and affording a kit list like this isn't easy or cheap. plus theres the flight cases and the van you need to get it all to gigs only to turn up and be presnted with a tiny table to setup on.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Audio Dependent wrote:
steevio wrote:i'm a hardware producer.
i mostly use analogue gear, TR909, 2x SH101's, Andromeda A6, Sherman Filterbank, Moogerfooger, TB303, Korg Delta, 301 spaceecho, analogue EQ's / compressors and effects. Soundcraft Ghost desk,and virtual analogs-Nord lead, Nord 3, Access Virus B,
i would love to just use hardware for performance and production but finding and affording a kit list like this isn't easy or cheap. plus theres the flight cases and the van you need to get it all to gigs only to turn up and be presnted with a tiny table to setup on.
yeah mate, the only reason ive got this amount of kit, is that ive been buying it for the last 15 years. if i was starting out now, i'd be staring at reaktor right now.
but you dont need much kit to make minimal techno, infact some of the best minimal music that has been made in the last 15 years was made on very basic kit.
i've released tracks over the years that were just a 909 and a few effects, and my latest release was done solely on an andromeda. i only ever use a couple of machines at any one time, it gives each tune a different feel.
as far as gigging goes, i would never take that kit list on the road, the last time i gigged live a couple of years ago, i used an Atari to sequence ( rock solid with built in midi, never crashed once in 5 years!! ) a TR909, 2 x TB303's, an SH101, a nord lead, and a small efffects rack and desk. it fit in the boot of my car.
my new set up will comprise of 909, nord 3, andromeda, small desk +effects.
the andromeda is the only big heavy piece of kit, but it's a true performance syntheser, as is the nord 3, and it gives you lots of freedom for live expression., but i'm probably going to have to take it to bits and rack it up.
the tiny table thing is a nightmare !!!!!!!!!!

http://www.mindtours.co.uk
http://www.myspace.com/steevio
Lex_Osk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Lex_Osk »

i agree with steevio,analog sounds are waaay much better. i have all of the FXHE Records releases and if you like dark detroit sounds you should get them too. its so good that people are buying the same releases twice,for just in case. i talked with omar-s on the net and he's really pissed about all those software producers and stuff. on his myspace gallery i saw how its done,those pictures of his friends house took my breath away. the guy has every fucking synth there is. much respect to people who know how to do it analog.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Even though using all the analog stuff sounds romantic, there really is no real advantage to it anymore. Back when techno started it was done with the cheapest possible equipment because most of the guys came from the ghetto and never really had any money to spend. Right now the cheapest equipment is a computer though a computer i believe can smoke any peice of hardware if the user really pushes it. There is really almost no audible difference between the way alot of analog gear sounds and the way a computer does. The only real difference is that when an audio signal comes out of a piece of hardware it has an eq on it already. Computer sounds when they come out are straight raw. Most people never take the time to learn how to put a proper eq on their music. It's a bad thing if you don't feel like learning how to do it but it's a spectacular thing if you want to learn how to do it because you can take the sound in any direction you want and are not limited by the hardwares sound.

Quite frankly, personally i think if you go out and buy a peice of digital hardware you are throwing away your money. Analog stuff can be nice and has a really round and smooth sound but the prices now are rediculous. You can really do anything you do with hardware with software if you just take the time to perfect your technique. It all comes down to your work ethic, a good work ethic will take you straight to the top.
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

going all hardware is ineffcient and pointless. unless you have money you want to burn and have so much that you want to buy gear just to dck around and have fun with.

There's some gear that is just plain good to have in the studio no matter what. But it's really dumb to be religious about it. Being "pure" hardware and limiting yourself that way. There's a few producers that are notorius for having really boring, old sounding music that I think would be incredible if they allowed theirselves more options.

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:going all hardware is ineffcient and pointless. unless you have money you want to burn and have so much that you want to buy gear just to dck around and have fun with.

There's some gear that is just plain good to have in the studio no matter what. But it's really dumb to be religious about it. Being "pure" hardware and limiting yourself that way. There's a few producers that are notorius for having really boring, old sounding music that I think would be incredible if they allowed theirselves more options.
i have to say i totally dissagree with everything you just said.
you talk about the money to burn !! can i ask you if you've paid for all the software you use ? or are you using illegal copies ?? are you stealing ??
i've never been religious about anything, i use whatever is best suited to the way i make music. i use software and hardware, in a blend that gives me as much control over the outcome as possible.
i know your comments werent specifically aimed at me, but what youre saying is that i'm dumb and what i do is inefficient and pointless. i'm dicking around !!!
youre talking about peoples lives here. this is my life.
these statements were made out of pure ignorance, you sound like youve never had the pleasure of making music in a hardware studio.
when your software is out of date, (usually within a year or so) and you cant get support from the new operating systems, my hardware will still be there pumping out the raw materials that all sound in the universe is made from.
its what you do with those raw materials that counts, not how they were produced.
i've spent years putting together my studio, so that it does exactly what i want it to do. it's a musical instrument !! and i'm still learning to play it.
everything is there at hand, if i want an effect or a filter trigger, i just reach out and its there instantly at the turn of a knob. ive spent ages building very complex routings, that you could only dream of in software before your CPU topped out.
whats this 'limiting' youre talking about. ive never felt limited for a second, infact the permutations of possibilities are infinite.
you seem to think that hardware = old and boring, so can you tell me what makes software different ?? when i first heard clicks and cutz style music i thought 'hey thats interesting' for about 30 seconds. then i all i heard was everyone using the same sounds, same techniques, everyone copying each others ideas, now we are so saturated with a handfull of ideas that this music is now old and boring, and became so in a very short space of time.
alot of my friends are binning their laptops and buying hardware now, they've seen the limitations of software, and these are just young guys who were brought up on software.
theres no way i would slag off the software route out of hand like youve just done with hardware, both are just tools, and there is awesome music being made by both and combined methods.
the truth is that software makes it easy for millions of non-musicians to sound vaguely like musicians, without having to spend anytime learning about music.
making real music with energy and soul has absolutely nothing to do with the machines you used to make it, and everything to do with whether you are a musician or not.
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

steevio wrote:the truth is that software makes it easy for millions of non-musicians to sound vaguely like musicians, without having to spend anytime learning about music.
making real music with energy and soul has absolutely nothing to do with the machines you used to make it, and everything to do with whether you are a musician or not.
i agree completely!