Analog warmth to songs produced on software

- ask away
motoperpetuo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Analog warmth to songs produced on software

Post by motoperpetuo »

Last days i talked with some producer that i like, and for my surprise they composed and produced most of his tracks on a software, but the sound they achieve was more warm,punchy, dirty and rough in some cases....

what techniques do u use to make a kick,bass,synth and etc sound more like analog than digital when u produce on a digital software?........

i like to mess around with bit depth, saturation, and i try to use good emulations of synths.......
darkspiritcut
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Analog warmth to songs produced on software

Post by darkspiritcut »

anything by psp seems to be a good shout in the vst realm. vintagewarmer is nice.

of course reprocessing through anything analog/external can be good... can route it back to your computer so it's still "in the box" right?
motoperpetuo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by motoperpetuo »

darkspiritcut wrote:anything by psp seems to be a good shout in the vst realm. vintagewarmer is nice.

of course reprocessing through anything analog/external can be good... can route it back to your computer so it's still "in the box" right?

thanks, yeah! nice!

could you please if you know, recommend some analog compressors/eqs/preamps that gives a colour to the sound?
darkspiritcut
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by darkspiritcut »

FMR RNLA is nice, small, cheap enough. you can get a lot of colour through any old tape deck - that would be my first shout for sure.

if you have cash to burn you can get a culture vulture.
motoperpetuo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by motoperpetuo »

darkspiritcut wrote:FMR RNLA is nice, small, cheap enough. you can get a lot of colour through any old tape deck - that would be my first shout for sure.

if you have cash to burn you can get a culture vulture.
nice! thanks a lot for the tips..

and what about empirical labs distressor?
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Leave it up to mastering, find something you can have fun expressing yourself on.

: )
motoperpetuo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by motoperpetuo »

John Clees wrote:Leave it up to mastering, find something you can have fun expressing yourself on.

: )
John, but im curious, which gear a mastering engineer would process it to make it hotter haa-ha (-) (-) (-) :-sta

can be even plugins like mentioned above by our friend
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Hi motoperpetuo:

Using Low Pass filters is a good start, you can specify the cut off point to edge out hi frequencies. 'Warmth' in a musical sense is a quite subjective but If all your synth sounds are coming from within the box, you can stick an EQ on all of them and set it to a Low Pass filter. if you need more 'air' you can then boost INTO that filter but the cut off point will act as a 'barrier' from nasty hi end harmonics getting through and those, once accumulated, interfere with a lot of things. So round things off with filters, use a spectrum analyzer to see where your parts naturally roll off and adjust accordingly.

Across your 2buss, you can also apply a filter - a low pass and set it to something like 16 or 17k at 6 or 12db per 8ve. You can experiment with this but I can't hear above that so I'm happy about there personally. And then any 2buss eq you have you can use a bell curve INTO that filter to get air if need be.