Humanize rhythm tips and tricks

- ask away
motoperpetuo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Humanize rhythm tips and tricks

Post by motoperpetuo »

Hello, i would like to know what tricks do u use to humanize ur beats and make the groove more natural....

i like to mess around with pre delay, start of the "loop", polyrhythm, polymeter, short-long phrases mixed....

AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Humanize rhythm tips and tricks

Post by AK »

Polyrhythm and meter aren't related directly to the groove, that's more about different phrase lengths or things branching off into that nature. In terms of getting a groove, I personally don't like flams if they're not wanted so I'm not interested in moving each hit off the grid with no reference that I can copy to another part.

I prefer to quantize to 16ths first and then I will quantize again to a percentage of triplet time, say 60% for argument sake. I like everything 'locked in' to a tight groove so I will apply this across all my parts. I then make sure all my hits ae sample accurate and are starting where they should, ie: no blank sample time before the hit starts..... Once everything is locked into the global groove, I know where everything is and just keep listening to see if a slight flam here or there might offset something in a good way, like a clap. You can bring a clap slightly forward or make a snare slightly late etc but get a groove first before you mess about otherwise you can awste hours and end up with nothing. :)
motoperpetuo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Humanize rhythm tips and tricks

Post by motoperpetuo »

AK wrote:Polyrhythm and meter aren't related directly to the groove, that's more about different phrase lengths or things branching off into that nature. In terms of getting a groove, I personally don't like flams if they're not wanted so I'm not interested in moving each hit off the grid with no reference that I can copy to another part.

I prefer to quantize to 16ths first and then I will quantize again to a percentage of triplet time, say 60% for argument sake. I like everything 'locked in' to a tight groove so I will apply this across all my parts. I then make sure all my hits ae sample accurate and are starting where they should, ie: no blank sample time before the hit starts..... Once everything is locked into the global groove, I know where everything is and just keep listening to see if a slight flam here or there might offset something in a good way, like a clap. You can bring a clap slightly forward or make a snare slightly late etc but get a groove first before you mess about otherwise you can awste hours and end up with nothing. :)

indeed, polymeter and polyrhythm are not directly related to the groove, but can make the rhythm more interesting and less predictable, a good way to find some oddness and flavour to the rhythm, which helps to make it sound more "human"

thanks for the tips about quantize, i need to mess around more with quantize settings, cause last time i messed around, the grooves got too tight and sounded like some easy listening tech house, which is exactly what i dont like when im composing, i like it more raw and odd, dont like when its too precise and tight....