Production PC & Laptop file transfer questions

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Production PC & Laptop file transfer questions

Post by AK »

So I got myself a laptop for music on the move as I am away from home a lot.

Straight to the questions as I'm not too great with computer specifics. Say I make some parts of a track on my desktop pc and want to transfer those files to my laptop, what would be the best/quickest way to do this?

The obvious way is to bounce out the audio from Ableton and onto a USB drive and copy them over to the laptop but copying back and forth seems ancient and I was wondering if I could connect the 2 over wifi and whether that woud be quicker?

I have icloud too but uploading then downloading seems the longest route with my connection.

I tried connecting the 2 computers with remote desktop but it doesn't seem to be working, my desktop pc is win 7 home premium and my laptop is win 10 home edition so I'm wondering if this type of connection is even possible on these versions of windows? ( professional only? )

Is USB drives the best way? Any other suggestions would be great :)
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Production PC & Laptop file transfer questions

Post by hydrogen »

USB is the easiest choice. I tried that remote stuff but it's challenge to setup, I think I gave up as well :)

I'm sure with enough googling it would work. Might also consider doing Ethernet transfer. It would be faster than wifi.

I also found if my laptop is a Mac using VSTs I can transfer project without having to render audio. But your both on windows machines.

Sorry I guess I'm not much more than an echo chamber here :)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Just have a small portable external hard drive and save everything to the hard drive and then plug it in to which machine you're using.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Cheers guys. I ditched the idea of trying to remotely connect the 2 computers, no point.

I have an external HD actually, it's connected to my desktop pc and it has my entire sample library on it but there's a weird thing going on with some USB ports on my desktop pc, the external drive just rests on top of the computer tower under my studio desk but I only have to move it slightly and windows no longer sees it and I have to get under my desk and fiddle around the back until it shows up again. Stupid thing, dunno what's going on there but it doesn't like to be moved at all.

But anyway I think I'm just gonna order a few 128gig USB sticks off E-Bay and copy my entire sample library to 1 of them and just use that. Easy now I think of it :) lol