elektron analog rytm VS electribe emx1

- ask away
electroll
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

elektron analog rytm VS electribe emx1

Post by electroll »

Hello , i would like to buy a drum machine to start music production . I have very little experience but bassicaly i am looking for a machine that can help me with more than making just drum paterns , i would also like to make melodic baselines , synths and pads .
I had to opportunity to play with the analog rytm for a couple of weeks and after i learned a little about its workflow i found it very fun to work with. However i didnt really figure out if it s really good of making baselines or synths.
The other option which is also 3 times more cheaper would be a korg electribe emx-1 . I know this is good for making percussions , baselines and synths.
But i feel the elektron can do tons more than i figured out by watching some tutorials and was wondering if there is any experienced user here who can tell me why this machine is so great as i heard it is.
Thank you
180gram
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: elektron analog rytm VS electribe emx1

Post by 180gram »

What about an Octatrack?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

I really think the new sampler electribe-2s is pretty amazing. Its so simple and quick to program. omg... it takes about 1/10th of the amount of time to learn and make stuff on these as it does the elektron gear.

My main complaint about the korg electribe is you cannot control the amount of reverb on each of the sounds. So it ends up sounding like the whole thing is coming from the same box. I've heard people make good stuff on it but when I hear the korg on a record or live... i hear it immediately and drives me mad! But other than that is is really really good.

In production you can export your loops to live functionality and i think that makes it a good production toolkit because you can dial all the reverb/eq/compression you want after the fact.

Octatrack would probably get you closer to having a better sound but its a pain to program. But it has an individual reverb/filter per channel which is amazing in terms of spacial placement of audio. Your gonna want a good library of samples to work with here because there is no synthesis options.

I love the elektron analog rytm. Being able to blend synth/samples is perfect for me. Also on the mac there is SDS drop which makes loading samples super easy. its only a 12 sound device and it can only use 8 voices at a time... I'd be pressed if I wanted to waste a voice on a synth or something like that.

I think getting an all in one kit your gonna be happier with the korg.

Might also consider getting one of those Novation Circuits. The patch editor is supposed to be bonkers in terms of depth and it makes a really good performance tool.

if you've got $$$... Elektron, a polyphonic synth, a mono synth and an external sequencer like the pyramid or something.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

elektron analog rytm - looks like something looking into.
hydrogen wrote:I really think the new sampler electribe-2s is pretty amazing. Its so simple and quick to program. omg... it takes about 1/10th of the amount of time to learn and make stuff on these as it does the elektron gear
Nice! I didn't know they came out with new ones.... -surprised flower
hydrogen wrote: My main complaint about the korg electribe is you cannot control the amount of reverb on each of the sounds. So it ends up sounding like the whole thing is coming from the same box.
I get what you're saying in a live scenario, but for production you could easily solo the tracks into ableton or something similar naturally.

This was the one review on SweetWater : Only 3 out of 5 stars
New Color. Same OS
Korg spent the time to change the colors and find new knobs. What they didn't do is update a number of useful and easily fixed items in the OS. The synthesizer is amazing, and there is a knob for most things you are likely to care about. But there is no song mode, step sequencing (or step recording) is a pain, and LFO's are programmed in weird increments instead of note values. There has been an online petition to fix these things. Nothing happened other than pattern chaining. If you're going to stand over it and sequence dance tracks - it might work for you. If you're thinking about it like your Akai MPC and need to be out in front of it while it does your evil, perfectly programmed bidding - forget it.It doesn't play or export MIDI files; you must have another gizmo feeding it. I'd happily pay twice this for a useable, battery powered box drum box. Nobody is doing that feature set. The blue is pretty, though.

for nearly 1/4 the cost you can always start with a electribe emx1 and sell it when you save up for the almost the full amount of the other. this way you may have the option to have/try both, you perhaps could jump into one of them quicker, and you can always sell a electribe emx1 on the market when you're done. those have remained pretty steady for the past 5 years, perhaps even more of a demand now...