Classic House Bass

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Classic House Bass

Post by AK »

hydrogen wrote:haha... i fucked around a little bit and tried to make the bassline OP posted in dex. http://kirkwoodwest.com/mnml/dexed.mp3

Basically 2 op bass... first op is low pitch the second one octave up and then feeding into it. Its super clicky, you can hear it with just/kick bass at the end. i didn't really mess with the envelopes too much. its pretty sh!t tbh. :P
Sounds good to me, I prefer it over the original. I haven't figured out Dexed, I like it though but don't know what the hells going on with the envelopes at all. I'm also not aware of any manual either.

Like many FM synths, I end up with a sound I like but it has nothing to do with the sound I actually set out to make. Have you found any TX81z sounds or DX100 sounds for it? I was wondering how it fairs with the Lately or Solid bass sounds.

But yeah, I haven't got a damn clue what's going on with Dexed yet. I can't even make that 2 op square/donk patch on it
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

If you figure out the envelopes please fill me in! Haha

Can it load dx100 sounds ? I guess it's worth a try.

Silly of me to use dexed but it is so much easier loading patches into it than the Tx7 module I have. I should be embarrassed. But I'm not... that extra effort takes time.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Actually, no, maybe not. I presumed it could load other DX sounds but hadn't bothered to check it out or not beforehand but such is my limited knowledge of FM synthesis, I just assumed a 6 op FM synth would do the sounds on a 4 op FM synth? I understand the DX11/TX81z has other waveforms besides sinewaves so that's probably not gonna work replicating those sounds. Maybe I should try Abletons Operator for those?
bradley1602
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bradley1602 »

Hey guys,

just looked through your amazing replies. I tried the pulse bass but didn't give me the results I was looking for. Hydrogen you nailed it with your audio demo with the dexed bassline! :)

Also this video with the dx100 jazz organ is dope. Such a nice sound! No comparison to the m1 house organ..
Maybe I'll get more into FM lately..

I'm just installing dexed this moment. I'll definitely have a try this evening.

I already have fm8 i have to see wich one is more apealling.
bradley1602
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bradley1602 »

Hey,

just got good results out of the fm8. I also made a recreation of the Mr Ks bass.

Heres the zippyshare link. I didn't use any envelopes at all. Did you even touch them hydrogen? :P

Drums are 909 out of maschine.

http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/JjHLfC9W/file.html
Mr KS
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Mr KS »

Hey Bradley, Mr KS here.

I used a fretless bass for this remix.
Check Trilogy etc, good presets in it.
As far as I can remember, I didn't eq/comp.

But you can use a sine wav with a lowpass filter with a bit of resonance. Sounds pretty much the same.
Also, when the part of the track is HP filtered, effectively removing the fundamental from the bass, it sounds out of tune.
hmm, doesn't sound of out of tune for me, you just hear the odd harmonics since the fundamental is cutted

ps: the sound on youtube is dirty as ffff ahah

hope it will help!

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre/ Mr KS
jswe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jswe »

Mr KS wrote:Hey Bradley, Mr KS here.

But you can use a sine wav with a lowpass filter with a bit of resonance. Sounds pretty much the same.
What a guy! Thanks! We always over complicate the music we idolize... -squint . just want to add that djebpr01 is still magic to me too!
bradley1602 wrote: Also this video with the dx100 jazz organ is dope. Such a nice sound! No comparison to the m1 house organ..
Maybe I'll get more into FM lately..
I just got a korg volca fm and it imports dx7/dexed sysex banks. totally recommend it if you want to take it a bit further and are poor/tight on space
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Mr KS wrote:Hey Bradley, Mr KS here.

Also, when the part of the track is HP filtered, effectively removing the fundamental from the bass, it sounds out of tune.
hmm, doesn't sound of out of tune for me, you just hear the odd harmonics since the fundamental is cutted

ps: the sound on youtube is dirty as ffff ahah

hope it will help!

haha! Yes, that's exactly what I was on about, hopefully not misunderstood as being 'out of key', just partials/upper harmonics.

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre/ Mr KS