how to create this type of bass line sounds and sequence

- ask away
rima
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

how to create this type of bass line sounds and sequence

Post by rima »

Hello
am struggling to create this type of bass lines, every time i try to replicate something similar, it becomes really boring and not moving at all , and if i input more notes it becomes cheesy,or very repetitive, dont understand how many steps i need to use on my octatrack or ableton sequencer to make it work it seems like 4 bars is not enough for this bass line ..anyone can explain bit more how those type of minimal house bass lines made ..
please help ! -urk

thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBXm0fac2IE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GupJcuYhqsI
Nhouz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: how to create this type of bass line sounds and sequence

Post by Nhouz »

maybe because the bass you use doesn't fit with the kick fq so after a while you think it's boring.
percussions though. even muffled, definitely help you out with the movement.
try focus on them first?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Short punchy kick, edge off sharp transients, compress and put a hp filter on the kick channel for later and create your bass in and around that kickdrum, See what you can get away with when the patterns are playing.

Look for a 'pocket' to sit the kick. In fact, the 2nd track you posted has the answers you seek in itself but you didn't look. At about 6:30 the kick drops out, notice that frequency now has no activity, there's a 'pocket'. If you run a spectrum analyzer on music, or anything you play on your computer you will get a better grounding on this kind of stuff.

In terms of patterns, they're only gonna do your head in if the elements are not working so besides that, don't worry about feeling the nedd to change bass patterns. Ostinato has been done to great effect for eons. You can change the FEEL of a pattern by other elements, where you might put a bass note, try putting a rimshot or a clave or whatever. A sound that encourages the pattern. Low subby basses dont need much more than positioning and then like Nhouz said, muffled elements to push and pull them - muffled because they will sound coherent with the low subby bass but if you tried to do that with just the bass, you ask too much.

So think of it like this: Your pattern is a rhythm, don't rush into your groove or pattern, spread it over a few different sounds and create a call and response vibe with your rhythms and your bass. :)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I was so drunk last night that I don't even remembering posting this
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

at least it has paragraph form. ha!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

John Clees wrote:at least it has paragraph form. ha!
:lol:

Made sense as a post too, quite worrying that a drunken soul is functioning better than a sober soul.................... (-)