Kepler - Maloop

- ask away
kepler
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Kepler - Maloop

Post by kepler »

Was looking for some feedback on this new clip of mine, slightly different to my usual style. Got that sunny minimal house vibe.

https://soundcloud.com/keplerleeds/maloop-clip/s-xx4pz

Jap_
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Kepler - Maloop

Post by Jap_ »

Like it. You've got a good groove going on with a late night main room vibe. When I first listened it was with Shure SE846 IEMs and there was some harshness in the upper frequencies of the hats. In the car this didn't come through and sounded nice and heavy and not piercing. Problem frequencies like that would be sorted during mastering anyways.
Jeff Milligan vs JAP_ --> https://soundcloud.com/jap-1/themethod
kepler
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kepler »

Jap_ wrote:Like it. You've got a good groove going on with a late night main room vibe. When I first listened it was with Shure SE846 IEMs and there was some harshness in the upper frequencies of the hats. In the car this didn't come through and sounded nice and heavy and not piercing. Problem frequencies like that would be sorted during mastering anyways.
Thanks man, will have a look at that. Needs a few more elements in there I think and a proper mixdown!

Cheers for the feedback
JosLok
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JosLok »

I like it man!

Could you tell me how to make a kick like that? and what processing you did?

Thanks!
kepler
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kepler »

JosLok wrote:I like it man!

Thanks!
Thankyou man. I think for me the most important thing is to play with the transients using a transient shaper. I like the keep the kicks short (less decay) and take out some of the low end with EQ so it has a better relationship with the bass. Also, try and roughly tune it by ear to your bassline - this can sometimes give a nice effect. With regards to processing I literally just used a compressor with a fairly high ratio and fast attack and release to give it more punch.

I think alot of getting a great sounding kick can be choosing the right sample or drum machine. I quite often use the MFB Tanzbar for nice punchy kicks. There are alot of sample packs out there that offer similar sounding kicks to the Tanzbar, along with actual sample recordings from the machine itself. You can tune and layer these together for a thicker sounding kick, but be sure to use subtractive EQ for each layer so they don't take up the same space in the mix.

Hope this is helpful! :P
kepler
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kepler »

JosLok wrote:I like it man!

Thanks!
Thankyou man. I think for me the most important thing is to play with the transients using a transient shaper. I like the keep the kicks short (less decay) and take out some of the low end with EQ so it has a better relationship with the bass. Also, try and roughly tune it by ear to your bassline - this can sometimes give a nice effect. With regards to processing I literally just used a compressor with a fairly high ratio and fast attack and release to give it more punch.

I think alot of getting a great sounding kick can be choosing the right sample or drum machine. I quite often use the MFB Tanzbar for nice punchy kicks. There are alot of sample packs out there that offer similar sounding kicks to the Tanzbar, along with actual sample recordings from the machine itself. You can tune and layer these together for a thicker sounding kick, but be sure to use subtractive EQ for each layer so they don't take up the same space in the mix.

Hope this is helpful! :P
JosLok
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JosLok »

Great! so you use analog hardware in your studio?

I like to make my kickdrum with Operator, it really sounds like a 808 kick, great for minimal house.
With those 4 oscillators you can make nice layers.

Could you tell me your compression recipe? so i can compare it with my settings.

Also i like to know what you did with your hi-hats. they sound very clean and not to harsh.

Thanks for the info!
kepler
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kepler »

JosLok wrote:Great! so you use analog hardware in your studio?

I like to make my kickdrum with Operator, it really sounds like a 808 kick, great for minimal house.
With those 4 oscillators you can make nice layers.

Could you tell me your compression recipe? so i can compare it with my settings.

Also i like to know what you did with your hi-hats. they sound very clean and not to harsh.

Thanks for the info!
When I can. My main focus over the summer is to build up the hardware in my studio.

With compression, for this track I think I had a ratio of around 2.50:1, attack around 0.04ms, release around 2ms put it just depends on the kick you're using. Just have to use your ears and adjust the threshold accordingly. This is off the top of my head though so it may not be spot on.

Not tried to use operator for kicks before but I know people that do, might have to give it a try some time.

With my hats its difficult to say how I got them sounding like that but I generally tend to keep them low in the mix, rolling off some of the harshness in the highs, taking out most of the low end and tuning them up slightly. In addition, I shorten the decay usually. I like to keep my drum hits nice and short to give the groove some space to breath.