Vocals

- ask away
seane
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Vocals

Post by seane »

Hi guys, trying to achieve these robotic sounding vocals I hear quite a lot. First of all, I'm sorry if it has been touched upon before I must have missed the thread but if it has been please re-direct me.

the type of vocals that can be heard here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os64bDlG ... e=youtu.be @ around 2 minutes 20 onwards

I hear these types of vocals quite a lot in house music but, quite deep and robotic, but not sure how i can achieve it. Maybe you guys can push me in the right direction.

Cheers
igotsoul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Vocals

Post by igotsoul »

those are samples with reverbs and delays on it. keep your ears open when you're watching movies and stuff, you'll find something.
handsuphandsup
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

seanedwards wrote:Hi guys, trying to achieve these robotic sounding vocals I hear quite a lot. First of all, I'm sorry if it has been touched upon before I must have missed the thread but if it has been please re-direct me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os64bDlG ... e=youtu.be @ around 2 minutes 20 onwards

I hear these types of vocals quite a lot in house music but, quite deep and robotic, but not sure how i can achieve it. Maybe you guys can push me in the right direction.

Cheers
Hey dude, thanks for linking me to that track, I liked that. Kinda thing I am into at the minute. When you said, 'robotic', I thought you were on about vocoders........Obviously not. These are just straight up nonesensical phraes being played back with pitch envelopes, at least it seems it to me. Try sticking an LFO on a talking phrase sample so it keeps its timing and rhythm but wanders of slightly with the LFO sent to modulate the pitch...

igotsoul said to sample movies and the like, nah man! Sample Youtube, it's a massive resource for spoken word and lofi you can embrace. Look for debates, poems, spoken word and record it as it plays ( I use Wavelab ) Once you got samples, be imaginative and don't be scared of just going nuts
seane
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by seane »

AK wrote:
seanedwards wrote:Hi guys, trying to achieve these robotic sounding vocals I hear quite a lot. First of all, I'm sorry if it has been touched upon before I must have missed the thread but if it has been please re-direct me.

Cheers
Hey dude, thanks for linking me to that track, I liked that. Kinda thing I am into at the minute. When you said, 'robotic', I thought you were on about vocoders........Obviously not. These are just straight up nonesensical phraes being played back with pitch envelopes, at least it seems it to me. Try sticking an LFO on a talking phrase sample so it keeps its timing and rhythm but wanders of slightly with the LFO sent to modulate the pitch...

igotsoul said to sample movies and the like, nah man! Sample Youtube, it's a massive resource for spoken word and lofi you can embrace. Look for debates, poems, spoken word and record it as it plays ( I use Wavelab ) Once you got samples, be imaginative and don't be scared of just going nuts

No problem, I really like that track too, Ross 248 is a collaboration between julian perez and John Dimas. If you're into that type of music I suggest you listen to both of them, especially John Dimas, he's makes the grooviest beats i have heard in a good while. I'm sure you'll enjoy.
Yeah I did try the vocoder and I didn't get near to the result I wanted. Thanks for the advice, it means a lot and i'll keep having a good go.