Mixer as a soundcard

- ask away
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: Mixer as a soundcard

Post by John Clees »

you could but your computer is 16 bit by default vs. 24 bit and up. the above sound card and/or any other you could get to 24 bit easily with low cost. perhaps while you save for a several hundred dollar + sound card you could sit on something with little expense while you save. best wishes!
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

if you want to produce you should never with your inbuild cheap laptop soundcard, i think thats save to say.

but from your initial question it seemed that you thought the mixer can be a soundcard, thats not the case with a xone 32. a xone 32 always needs already "sound" as an input. it does nothing to the sound other than EQ and Volume.

if you just want to play your music on speakers, you can buy one but if you are happy with the sound from your laptop its not necessary.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

If you don't have a lot of outboard equipment I wouldn't spend too much money on the sound card. A very expensive one make sense when you got lots of synths, drum machones or whatever you are using to capture the best sound possible. It does make a difference, I went from crappy 16 bit dj-friendly audio interface to premium quality converters with two in out channels and I can hear the difference on the recordings I did. On the overall sound, it also is noticeable but you need a good pair of monitors and a good room to hear them.

Now that I have more experience, this is how I would do it if I had to start again:

1. Spent the maximum money you can afford on monitors.
2. Acoustic treatment.
3. Audio interface.
igotsoul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by igotsoul »

Hei, it's me again! Any thoughts about the Focusrite Saffire 6?
handsuphandsup
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

igotsoul wrote:Hei, it's me again! Any thoughts about the Focusrite Saffire 6?
I've got one of them. You mean the red one right? I use mine in conjunction with an Alesis mixer and get on fine with it. I mean it's just there and does its thing - which is cool I guess lol. Still, I never did get to grips with the scarlett mixer thing, just as well I have a mixer.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Like I mentioned in last post, I have an alesis mixer too - which has a USB interface, so therefore a mixer as an audio interface but it's rubbish. I tried it once and never got on with it.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

igotsoul wrote:Hei, it's me again! Any thoughts about the Focusrite Saffire 6?
it's a nice newer affordable/portable sound card. As metioned it does its thing. I have one (2i 4) for my live pa laptop set up..
:-flower
igotsoul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by igotsoul »

i bought it for 50 pounds :d
handsuphandsup