Any NI Maschine users?

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Any NI Maschine users?

Post by AK »

I've been looking at it recently with a view to buying it but something is putting me off which hopefully, someone might be able to shed some light on.....

1.Does it have a 'sound'? Every time I hear an audio demo of it ( and a lot of NI products ) there's this, very modern 'sheen' plasticky sound which always becomes apparent to me and I'm not a fan of it. Now, in theory, if I'm using my own sounds & samples, you'd think that wouldn't happen? Does it impart a sound or is what I'm hearing from the sample library and its stock sounds?? Is it the efx on it?
nomorenames
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Any NI Maschine users?

Post by nomorenames »

No, NI Maschine does not have his own 'sound' it's just a software sampler. Is no different from combination of Drum Rack with Sampler at Live.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

it doesnt has a "sound"

im not a producer but i have it at home
its like a drum machine but it doenst has its own sound, it can use any sample you want, and you can control other plugins with the knobs and buttons as well, like any efx/filter plugins or something like that.

so a sample based drum machine and a controller for other plugins in one thing

if that makes sense.
maks
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maks »

AK wrote:I've been looking at it recently with a view to buying it but something is putting me off which hopefully, someone might be able to shed some light on.....

1.Does it have a 'sound'? Every time I hear an audio demo of it ( and a lot of NI products ) there's this, very modern 'sheen' plasticky sound which always becomes apparent to me and I'm not a fan of it. Now, in theory, if I'm using my own sounds & samples, you'd think that wouldn't happen? Does it impart a sound or is what I'm hearing from the sample library and its stock sounds?? Is it the efx on it?
your correct about the slight sheen, but mostly its factory content(don't have sample packs as i sample a lot external for contrast ), i guess their in-house mastering engineer is to blame for that. Ni does have a different somewhat aggressive sample interpolation across their whole line then other developers, its German after all :) not as relaxed as say Arturia, Roland. This isn't a hinderance and its very minute but its there... however its very easy to manipulate or calm :) aside that its general sound is clean, digital and faithful to what you put in, and the plugs are great.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Thanks for the replies. maks pretty much got where I was coming from and I did think that it might be a combination of the internal efx and certain factory content and synths etc as I notice it on other NI stuff. Each to their own on this but I'm not really a fan of that sound, I am however, seriously interested in Maschine as an alternative way of doing some music. I really do not need DAW complexities for what I enjoy writing and I'm also considering an MPC, maybe the 1000 series.

I pre make all my own sounds, loops, samples, everything using whatever I use and then as a way of getting out of linear based DAW sequencing, I was thinking of perhaps the Maschine or an MPC to sequence what I dump into it in a live type fashion but yeah, I was a bit concerned that I'd end up with that NI sound 'sheen'.
S
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S »

I dunno if its still the case but I bought the mk1 version second hand then sent it back to the seller because NI were not transfering licences - so worth checking out if your going down the second handy road. Never purchased another, still get tempted! Theres so many cool controllers and techno toys out just now.
Let us know how you get on with it
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

S wrote:I dunno if its still the case but I bought the mk1 version second hand then sent it back to the seller because NI were not transfering licences - so worth checking out if your going down the second handy road. Never purchased another, still get tempted! Theres so many cool controllers and techno toys out just now.
Let us know how you get on with it

yeah they are like lock/key with their licensees. I tried to install one from a friend and it was a huge hassle and in the end we didn't do it. it's not that you couldn't do it -but they email the previous license owner, and they kinda have to sign off on the license kinda thing. so if you dont have contact directly with the previous license owner it would be useless.

it's a midi controller, and "technically" due to it being a midi controller it doesn't but YES the program comes with all kinds of samples. I think I read/saw it's up to 8G's perhaps with the newer versions or something very close number to an abundance of new sound patches. The size varies obviously depending on what level you get.

I jumped in at a friends house the past 6 months. really different feel - but very touch/go. really really soft comfy work flow to it. huge asset to the program. I'd most certainly buy this before the ableton sales pitch of 9.0 and a new controller.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

ironically enough - I must have did a search for something and came across my "Machine" install folder, which I didn't even know I still had. (4.4 Gigs)

I did find some drum samples in wave form that I could post online for you and others (if) anyone may want them? not sure if other folders have waves and/or if anything could be used in ableton but I can also check a 2nd time..

if anyone wants or is curious - respond in this post and I'll post the folder online for you and others to download.