2000 - 2005 period

- ask away
re.vise
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

2000 - 2005 period

Post by re.vise »

Been a long time since I've been here, glad its still active! I have a question regarding many tracks in this time span;

Many of these tracks have a specific sound
The Aztec Nystic - Jaguar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvPaljtnZoA

Zwosh - 001
-
The Plan - 8 Miles Wide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-r9uMpTu0s

Matthew Johnson - Marionette
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daSid6Lh9Vs

For me, this periode and tracks are much more inspiring than the massive '97 year when alot of great tracks came out. I just cant figure out whats different about them - compression? They sound so fresh, such wide range of sound(scaping) - how!? What was used in this period that isnt use this day?
raoulmusic
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: 2000 - 2005 period

Post by raoulmusic »

It´s very melodic...
Maybe that´s what you like ?
re.vise
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by re.vise »

Nah, its not.. Its the massive range and 'wideness' of the sound.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

One point of difference can be found in the establishment or evolution (i think this describes it better) of computers and their software in the studios.

In 1997 some guys used ATARIs, some used Hardware Sequencers (MPCs) only to sequence the typical machines. Those machines were AKAI / EMU Samplers, Roland Korg Yamaha Synths, Roland Yamaha Drum Machines. All recorded via an analog Desk to DAT with decent Compressors and Effects. The possibilities were very limited. A lot of tracks had to be recorded in 20 attempts!! As far as i know there were also Mac based Software Recording Systems, but they were very expensive.

Computers and Softwares became more and more affordable over the last 10 years.

Check Heiko Laux`Compilation Reasons (early 2001/2 i think) on Kanzleramt. All Tracks were produced by different Artists with Reason 2.0.

Since years it is possible to produce your Music with a Computer only. From Sample Selection to Mastering. But when you all stripped down, its only 0s and 1s. You can arrange your single tracks, eq them, put them in the panorama, etc. in the Box perfectly. The analog soul, the flow and the organic flavour are gone.

I think the truth is something between hardware and software...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

With these tracks I'd say there's more effort put into the musical content and less in the production. Not that these are badly produced or anything, but there's no white noise build ups, special effects or trying to sound like L.I.E.S.
Last edited by tone-def on Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alert »

tone-def wrote:no white noise build ups
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

You might think it's stupid mentioning the lack of white noise build ups but they were on lots of records since 2005. Maybe cheap frills would be a better description of the effects I'm talking about.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

white noise kills every track in my eyes. david guetta, deadmau5 or hawtins and villalobos bad days tracks.

may other persons love white noise build ups! For me its just a commercial crap thing.

when the message or the main content of a track is good, it iss good and no white noise is necessary to push it up!