Feedback on first Minimal Techno track

- ask away
Elorreli
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Feedback on first Minimal Techno track

Post by Elorreli »

Need some feedback on this track I started working at, It's my first attempt at minimal techno!

All kind of feedback appreciated!

AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Feedback on first Minimal Techno track

Post by AK »

Hi, I had a listen, although I think you're posting in the wrong area. For me, it's neither minimal or Techno, I think you are in Trance territory with this one. If you want to nail a more minimal Techno sound, you have to ease off on the 'all out' melody a little and make things a bit more subtle, things like counterpoint are really effective for minimal type tracks and subtle changes over time with sparse sounds that add to the arrangment here and there. Try injecting some 'funk' into grooves and basslines and use sounds that are less abrasive and upfront. There's nothing wrong with your sounds or your track but you labelled it as minimal Techno and it isn't that. Just keep pushing tracks and the finer points will come. :)
Elorreli
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Elorreli »

Thanks for the feedback!

Would you say that It's too melodic to be minimal then? Too much variation in the bass/melody?

Would you say that the same goes for this one:

?
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

try a grove other than : tun tun - tun tun : opposite of the kick sound - that is invisible for trance, and has been used in trance since the 90's..
john gaiser brought it back from minus, in a more minimal and darker way 6-7 years ago and may still use it to this day..

great first crack at a track tho. sounds chooses aren't annoying which is more than I can say for 90% of music now. if that is how you feel go with it. he is right it is ore like trance sounding, but it does have some minimal elements in it as well.

perhaps try use just the bass notes, and add clever drum placements (if) you want to sound minimal.

more focus on tweeks and placements of drums vs. Big room / plug in synth sounds..
Elorreli
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Elorreli »

John Clees wrote:try a grove other than : tun tun - tun tun : opposite of the kick sound - that is invisible for trance, and has been used in trance since the 90's..
john gaiser brought it back from minus, in a more minimal and darker way 6-7 years ago and may still use it to this day..

great first crack at a track tho. sounds chooses aren't annoying which is more than I can say for 90% of music now. if that is how you feel go with it. he is right it is ore like trance sounding, but it does have some minimal elements in it as well.

perhaps try use just the bass notes, and add clever drum placements (if) you want to sound minimal.

more focus on tweeks and placements of drums vs. Big room / plug in synth sounds..
Thanks for the feedback!

About the bass, It have felt like I haven't quite nailed the minimal rolling type of bassline, mine is more trance-ish I agree, Is there any like trick or method to get the bass sounding more like this

(Example)

I'm still very new to music production