Bass (Techno) Samples provided

- ask away
Tothenines_
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Bass (Techno) Samples provided

Post by Tothenines_ »

Hey guys, i'm having some issues getting my bass to sound how I want. Does anyone have an idea of how to get that low rumbling techno bass? It doesn't sound like just a sine wave. I've tried that and it doesn't sound right. I provided two links below with a similar style I am trying to reach. Anyone comments or suggestions would be a huge help! Thanks everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YktOYqFR_YE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vhzjuRdp4M
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Bass (Techno) Samples provided

Post by AK »

its not sine waves mate, dont use them for this. You want stuff with a lot more harmonic content and then filtered right down. As for the source sounds, they could come from pretty much anything to be honest. Sometimes, there's just a tuned kick and a dark reverb sidechained, filtered and movement injected with further level modulation envelopes.

Other times, it could be a few percussive samples, tuned by ear. These make up the groove and send then send them to a buss where you can gel them together with a low pass filter and compression so they don't sound like random sounds. You could use drum loops, percussive loops, snippets of sounds etc. I doubt there any any rules as such but low pass filters, sidechain compression, reverb, eq and maybe subtle distortion are your friends. Case of experimenting really, there's a ton of ways you could develop your own technique here.

I have a fair few samples for low subby stuff made from kicks I have tuned and stuff like Toms. All put through Paul Stretch and resampled until I have a tuned, long, sub texture that's perfectly in tune with the sound it was made from. Then it's a case of finding textures within that texture and creating grooves with techniques like above.
Tothenines_
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Bass (Techno) Samples provided

Post by Tothenines_ »

@Ak
Thankyou so much for your reply!
This is a huge help, I can't wait to try some of these techniques! A lot more creative than I thought