Managing swing/shuffle on different instruments.

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Managing swing/shuffle on different instruments.

Post by AK »

I have a bit of a headache with managing swing/shuffle on different things and I'm looking for a workaround. I'll start with the issue and hopefully someone might see some solution that I'm obviously missing.

My issue is that I find it really difficult to match swing and shuffle settings across different devices. For instance, programmed rhythms in Live: I might add a 20% shuffle to straight 16ths by quantizing at 16t, this gives me a feel I like sometimes but then that percentage doesn't offer the same feel on other things. For instance, anything with a step sequencer, Microtonic, Nepheton, Redrum in Reason, rhythmic synth sequences don't match up with the 'master' shuffle amount. I get uncomfortable flams here and there and struggle to lock everything in.

The only thing I know of as a workaround is to commit everything into audio, chop it up and resequence using the settings I have quantized with in Live. This kinda defeats the object of using step sequencing in the first place.

Is this really just a case of settings stuff by ear or is there something I can do that I'm obviously missing here...

It does my head in when timing isn't tight so it's a real pain this one.
akseltone
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Managing swing/shuffle on different instruments.

Post by akseltone »

this is what i;ve done a few times. Im not sure how you use your nepheton but i've set up an empty channel to resample nepheton. Create my groove and mess around with different settings while recording. set your swing etc.
Then use which ever parts you like.... and extract the groove from recorded part !! Not sure if that answers completely your question, But that's one of the methods i've used. :)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Ableton seems more trouble than it's worth. You don't get swing problems in Reason (unless you want them) as Redrum, Matrix and RPG-8 all sync to the same swing.

Reason is the most techno thing in software. I don't know why it gets overlooked so much.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

Reason is the sh!t!! With the newer Versions together with Midi Out and Virtual Midi Cable Software or Rewire (i dont know if Rewire transport Midi too) you can sequence your VST / AU Devices in Ableton Live, Logic or Cubase.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I'm a Reason fan, I wasn't having a go at it. I like the thing, I was talking about why a percentage swing on an instrument, wont be the same on another. Doing things soley in Reason means I miss out on a lot of things I use Live for. Max 4 Live, Reaktor, to name a few.

I suppose if swing / shuffle wasn't a universal standard setting thing, different devices wouldn't have their own personality. Maybe I'm just too bothered by loose timing. But for getting locked in grooves, Reason is awesome. It's getting other things to follow that groove without making groove templates that's the issue.