MAC vs. PC

- ask away
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

Well.. this is a serious topic of debate. but i'll just speak from personal experience. I've always used a pc desktop.. still do and i love it. I was pretty open minded to macs tho and thought if i get a laptop for play live and stuff i could get a mac. I got a 15' powerbook that i think is great. The only problem is that all my plug ins and stuff that i use for production, even for the post-production stuff (t-racks) only work on pcs. So when im travelling and making music i'm limited with the mac.. So i'm planning on selling my powerbook and getting an Alienware pc laptop. Even tho its no big deal, little things also annoy me a bit. Forexample I much much prefer winamp over itunes. I'm not dissing macs, they are definately great and lots and lots of producers use them, but for me personally even after trying the mac for a few months, i'm just a pc guy. All you need is to custom make a pc that will withstand whatever you plan to do on it and u'll be set. Which is what i plan to do after i find someone to buy this mac off me.. Just my thoughts on the matter...
audiostatic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by audiostatic »

I have a custom made audio laptop Spec. 17" WXGA 2.3GHz Pentium M DDR2 SDRAM 2GB of memory has a 100 GB Hard Drive 7200rpm with the 945PM chipset. will take a (120GB SATA hard drive (7200rpm) which is very 8) this is to replace the one, that was losted last December :( :( (which was a P4 based one) i must it say it blows the P4 away. So i would say, you get what you pay for ;) Dont get me wrong I've been using a Mac Dual G4 in my studio with some Mac based software (Numerology & Nord G2 editor) all runs very nicely....just work out what...you want to do :idea: then... just shop around ;)
jspr
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by jspr »

A lot of VST plugins for Mac you have to buy ;) so they are available.

People want to be cheap and download 10.000 VST plugins for free.
async
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by async »

Everybody on the Mac should check out twerk's stuff at audibleoddities.com They're just free Max patches, but woo what fun! To get audio in you have to actually drop it into the application bundle (using ctrl-click->show contents).

I also HIGHLY recommend Miller Puckette's excellent PD to anyone who has more time and energy than money.
_Mark
pata
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pata »

i'm mac user and i'm very happy!!! my iBook is very reliable this is very important for don't lose own work!!! get mac and be happy.....you know mac operating system is more powerfull than windows....great hardware and great os makes difference...i have seen the new windows vista and it includes many mac osx features...windows is big in business only....use logic and stay tune!!!!
altered states!!!
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

PC all the way!

My pc does everything a mac does but with better software and more flexability and cheaper. I can upgrade it any time i want to with almost no hastle. I havn't run into one thing a mac can do better, not even one. I'v even taken files from my pc on some programs and put them on a mac in a studio and just watch it freak out. There is no difference in audio quality. PC surpassed mac on handleing multitrackers a while ago. The only thing i would buy a mac for is video.
TroySilver
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by TroySilver »

Torque, no offense dude but there are many many things a Mac can do better. I can see you're sort of old-school though so you may not know everything there is to know about them yet.

Here's a few things the Mac does better:

1.) True plug & play
The Mac reads all digital cameras, printers and accessories right out of the box. How many times have you had to scramble around looking for "driver" disks for the PC? Never with a Mac.

2.) The OS
10x more stable than Windows XP. It never crashes or hard locks. I use both OS's, so I'm speaking totally objectively.

3.) Bundled Software
The bundled software on a Mac -- mainly iPhoto, iTunes & Safari, all of which are free -- destroys anything comparable on the PC. I'm even talking about programs you'd have to pay money for. Name a photo editor easier to use than iPhoto? Or an MP3 player that's more user-friendly than iTunes? Safari has built in pop-up protection and is about 200x safer than IE when surfing around.

4.) Virus Protection
You don't need any bullshit "Norton-slow-my-system-down-to-a-freaking-halt Antivirus" on a Mac because there simply aren't anywhere near as many vulnerabilities or viruses written to attack Macs. I mean, there are viruses for the Mac, sure, but you're talking about 200000x less of them.

5.) Runs Serato & Finalscratch better
Ask the devteam from either camp -- the Mac runs MP3 DJ software better and with less quirks than the PC. Why? The OS is more reliable and the OEM quality is just flat out better.

So yeah, there's more than a few.
audiostatic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by audiostatic »

MAC vs. PC Pissing contest about to start. :lol: :D