- ask away
simplyadrian
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by simplyadrian »

slntpl wrote:
TroySilver wrote: Here's a few things the Mac does better:

1.) True plug & play
The Mac reads all digital cameras, printers and accessories right out of the box. How many times have you had to scramble around looking for "driver" disks for the PC? Never with a Mac.
:idea: This is VITAL! :idea:

i ALWAYS produce music these days with a cybershot digital camera, BubbleJet printer, and an iPod Docking Station. i just can't get enough of how well they play off of each other. When i plug em all in, it knows what they are like... MAGIC! No frowning mac faces here!

Scrambling for a driver disc? Well, if someone with a pc is reading this forum post than they wouldn't EVER need to "find a driver disc". ALL drivers can EASILY be found as free downloads online. That would involve "knowing" the manufacturer's name of products you own though.
TroySilver wrote: 2.) The OS
10x more stable than Windows XP. It never crashes or hard locks. I use both OS's, so I'm speaking totally objectively.
Never crashs or hard locks, eh? You must have a MAGIC one that wizards created. Maybe it was gnomes instead. Those little guys make superb computers and are cheaper labor.
TroySilver wrote: 3.) Bundled Software
The bundled software on a Mac -- mainly iPhoto, iTunes & Safari, all of which are free -- destroys anything comparable on the PC. I'm even talking about programs you'd have to pay money for. Name a photo editor easier to use than iPhoto? Or an MP3 player that's more user-friendly than iTunes? Safari has built in pop-up protection and is about 200x safer than IE when surfing around.

iTunes definitely "Destroys" as you put it. It "destroys" your audio files in an easy and timely fashion. i'd rather have a tape recorder with permanently low batteries than that garbage being installed on my machine.

Yes... iPhoto stands far above and beyond Retail photo editing applications. LOOK OUT, PHOTOSHOP! ...THE NEW LEADER OF THE PACK IS HERE TO STAY! i can't believe i almost forgot to mention this being another vital tool in music production.
TroySilver wrote: ...there simply aren't anywhere near as many vulnerabilities or viruses written to attack Macs. I mean, there are viruses for the Mac, sure, but you're talking about 200000x less of them.
You're right. Somebody really should start showing a little more effort and get to work.

Personally, i only use Norton software when i feel like producing some WICKED, internet security trance.
TroySilver wrote: 5.) Runs Serato & Finalscratch better
Ask the devteam from either camp -- the Mac runs MP3 DJ software better and with less quirks than the PC. Why? The OS is more reliable and the OEM quality is just flat out better.
why not just stick with the award winning iTunes? its bundled, its Free. Its pretty much fact that iTunes is the best application ever created.
TroySilver wrote: So yeah, there's more than a few.
Where?

did i miss your VALID points when i was looking for that DAMN printer disc, again?

...How do you feel about what just happened here?

:oops:
O lordy Paul....
by far the funniest thing I have ever read...

LOL
01001000011000010110111000100000010100110110111101101100011011110000110100001010
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

This thread could go on forever.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - people often say they like PCs because they are inexpensive and that Macs are expensive. Not quite how it works - more accurately, PCs are available as anything from low, low end to high end systems. Macs start somewhere in the middle, and hence don't have insanely cheap models available. You know what they say, you get what you pay for, etc.

The other PC excuse(s) are that people are used to them or have proprietary software that they like that only runs on PC. All I can really say to them - if you go out on a limb and try to get past your fear/doubts of going mac.... you'll feel like a million bucks when you do and be very happy you chose to do so.

I was a PC user for most of my life and made the switch. I can and do use both, but pretty much everything in day-to-day activities are done on a mac now. Every PC i've ever owned, "good" or not - has crashed multiple times a day.. programs going screwy, all kinds of weird stuff that they aren't supposed to do..they'd do. I have this like 3 times a year on my mac.

Macs are just more stable and are more bang for your buck. If you sell yourself short and "save" money by buying a low end pc that you cram all kinds of "good" hardware into... all you'll get is an unstable machine that is often capable of doing powerful things. I'd rather have consistancy and power. Time is money for myself, and i'm sure a lot of you too and I certainly would rather pay extra for a better machine... imagine doing a design job that takes 4 hours on a mac, and 12 hours on a pc because it crashed every time you changed a font or something...
Renze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Renze »

A lot of Mac users here tend to think that WinXP crashes and locks up a lot. Is it because you guys haven't touched a PC since the Windows 9x era (yes Win 9x was utter crap)? WinXP NEVER crashes for me, sure, some programs often crash or lock up, but the whole system remains stable. The only time you still get blue screen errors is when there's a hardware conflict, which means broken hardware...I think Mac is as vulnerable to that as PC.

That said, I'm running Mac OS X 10.4 smoothly, without glitches on a PowerPC G3 400 MHz...That's OS X on a 7 year old machine...Try to run XP on a 7 year old PC :shock:
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

Renze wrote:Try to run XP on a 7 year old PC :shock:
I've done that. Works.
Some elements in the pc I use now are still 7 years old.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Renze wrote:A lot of Mac users here tend to think that WinXP crashes and locks up a lot. Is it because you guys haven't touched a PC since the Windows 9x era (yes Win 9x was utter crap)? WinXP NEVER crashes for me, sure, some programs often crash or lock up, but the whole system remains stable. The only time you still get blue screen errors is when there's a hardware conflict, which means broken hardware...I think Mac is as vulnerable to that as PC.

That said, I'm running Mac OS X 10.4 smoothly, without glitches on a PowerPC G3 400 MHz...That's OS X on a 7 year old machine...Try to run XP on a 7 year old PC :shock:
It's a scientific fact that mac isn't as "vulnerable". But moving on ;)

I've used WinXP enough to know how instable it is. I have about 4 windows xp machines sitting here in my home running right now. (couple low end, couple high end). The worst part about it - you are partially right... I never found it to crash every five seconds or anything... but when it does, it's a HUGE painful one. I don't know how many times I, or friends of mine have been using a PC, doing the same old things they always do without a problem and then POW! Out of nowhere, it just DOESN'T WORK. A big fat blue screen saying it's basically not going to start up again without reformatting or reinstalling winblows.

one crash is unacceptable. when a mac crashes, it's almost always because of bugs in the software you purchased from a 3rd party. Windows XP, or older versions of windows of course just seem to fck things up whenever they damnwell feel like it - even when you're not using anything 3rd party at all.

I could carry on about real world examples and nightmare stories, but it's just scary territory.. trusting a PC with your hardwork, files/data and time and money investment is like trusting a lit stick of dynamite not to explode.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Actually, I have a project for everyone. If you've time and required "supplies":

-Find a new pc and a new mac. Both with absolutely nothing on it except the default things that happen at install.

-Don't plugin any extra peripherals, nothing 3rd party especially.

-Start them up/login.

-Leave them on and walk away. Come back in a month. Look at which one is still running.

...take a wild guess which one it'll be!

PS - power protection/battery backup in case a power outtage wrecks the experiment. But that's probably needed as one of them will probably lock up or something after the first day.
radum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by radum »

they'd both be running. it's not really a valid test.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

radum wrote:they'd both be running. it's not really a valid test.
I guarentee they won't be.
Well, just one of them will be.