How make Kick like Petre Inspirescu

- ask away
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: How make Kick like Petre Inspirescu

Post by Toloache »

After a bit of brainstorming with some guys at gearslutz, i think i found a way to do something similar with just ableton operator. I forgot my laptop charger at work so i can't screenshot the patch right now nor making audio examples, but if some friend will lend me one, i will upload it. Meanwhile you can read the thread here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... kicks.html i made a mini walkthrough on how to obtain the sound near the end of the thread.

A guy told me in private to send it the patch and he will try to replicate it on his analogues, so maybe it will sound even better than with operator. When i get the charger i forgot at work, i can upload some audio examples. Not exactly the same thing but on my headphones a similar snap is definitely here. I think it's just a matter of playing with envelopes with the method i wrote to find just the right sound, but i looked at the waveform on smexoscope and the attack is definitely becoming similar. Cheers
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: How make Kick as Petre Inspirescu

Post by Toloache »

Ok here it is, an example of the kick in contest, just a loop i trow togheter in ten minutes..

very clicky and snappy here but with the patch you can pretty much shape it how you want. If anyone is interested just pm me!

http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/37383896/file.html
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How make Kick like Petre Inspirescu

Post by AK »

Had a read of the thread you linked to. I've heard that kind of kick before too, not sure where. Something you may have overlooked though ( as I think it's more to do with the initial transient than anything else ) Is that if I'm not mistaken, the sound you are on about, has an almost 'thwip' thing going on just before the 'normal attack transient'. A lot of kicks just start back on the transient but there's something which you can do which brings in that 'thwip' slightly before the attack that gives it a feel of folding. ( im not sure how my descriptions are working here but I could try an knock up a clip later or tomorrow )

Anyway, if I want that sound, I get the kick how I want it and render to MP3, this does something strange to the transient but can take a bit of experimentation. The effect can be quite nice, I then sample the sound back to Wav format and job done.

What you have to be aware of though, is it wont work when sequenced bang on the grid. you will have to place it by hand err mouse.... Also, I don't know how the kick will ultimately end up after the finished track gets put to MP3 either but either way, it can produce a nice feel. Might not be what you're after but it's worth looking into.