Petre Inspirescu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYTCUlG1NxI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FEraPtfqjs
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How make Kick as Petre Inspirescu

Post by blizt »

If you just want the same kick, then sample it.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Nice tracks and Petre always has nice kicks! I'd highly encourage you to spend some time learning the different effects in ableton such as the overdrive, saturator and glue compressor. Then, you can basically use 2 kicks, compress them and run them into a macro. You can not only replicate his kick, but develop your own style.

I love how not getting what you initially want, can get new sounds.
Stay inspired!
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

eheh that sucking clicky sound! Check my thread of some years ago about villalobos kick.. Lot of pages of wisdom! http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=75060

Then again, i must say it's an elusive topic. Recently i dig the kicks the vermona drm1 mk3 can produce, but they aren't exactly the same thing (luckily i might add!) but with some processing you can come close!

Also remember less is more! We probably go nuts thinking how they do it when maybe they spent like... 5 minutes doing it. Another thing to try is maybe try to make one in aalto. Petre use a buchla i think?
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

My wild guess is that on the modular stuff some of the kicks comes from the buchla and on the early stuff is probably 808/909 samples processed, that's what it sounds like to me at least. Btw you can make those click kicks with big deal of low end with the mfb522. Cheap box with heavy kicks.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

blizt wrote:If you just want the same kick, then sample it.
funny : but pure truth actually..
many ppl can have concepts of "how", or perhaps it was a simple basic drum machine..

some spend 1000's of mastering, so "trying" to make a kick of something that is mastered is nearly an impossible task, and even more of an assumed answer to the question at hand. Some nice personal approaches shared here.

have fun with your own sounds, layers, pans, subtle vol levels...having 4-5 sounds layered to "represent" a kick..
find your own path..
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

Ok a bit late but here it is. Im almost sure the kick comes from a buchla. To have a starting point to effect later you can use aalto.

Simply program a basic sine wave kick, then use envelope 2 to modulate the noise generator. Play with modulation amount, env 2 release, modulator volume and offset until you reach something similar. Clickety click. Record the results, take the most clicky and put it into a sampler. From there you can start post processing it to keep the click in control (as with this method, the ratio of click to body of the sound is pretty high). Hope this will be a good starting point!
univers
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by univers »

Toloache wrote:eheh that sucking clicky sound! Check my thread of some years ago about villalobos kick.. Lot of pages of wisdom! http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=75060

Then again, i must say it's an elusive topic. Recently i dig the kicks the vermona drm1 mk3 can produce, but they aren't exactly the same thing (luckily i might add!) but with some processing you can come close!

Also remember less is more! We probably go nuts thinking how they do it when maybe they spent like... 5 minutes doing it. Another thing to try is maybe try to make one in aalto. Petre use a buchla i think?
great responses. yes he may be using a buchla, is that mandatory for getting those kicks? most likely not. sure you can get it loads of different ways. experimenting is the key here. someone said they love how looking for a sound they find a completely new one. true indeed