Logic to Ableton

- ask away
Harry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Logic to Ableton

Post by Harry »

I've been working in Logic for well over 4 years now, and have got to a level that i'm happy with.

However, the main area I struggle is the arranging and finishing of my tracks. I have a lot more fun building a solid loop, then using the mute a solo functions to play through the track, as if it were a live set.

I was wandering if anyone knows if I can bounce each individual instrument of my track and then use ableton to play through the track in the same way, recording it as a live take?

Also if this is possible, would I need a controller to have full control over the track and the way that i'm playing through it?
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Logic to Ableton

Post by dirddey_iddler »

You can use Rewire. But Ableton will be a Slave i dont know if its possible to record from Master to the Slave.

A controller gives you much more possibilities and flexibility.

Logic has Touch Tracks. You could assign midi sequences to keys of your Keyboard or midi Keyboard.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I had exactly the same idea as you. Logic can't be a rewire slave, as far as I understand. So you can't bus audio TO ableton (you could use soundflower but it would be a major ball ache.)

I ended up bouncing loops but it ended up becoming such a pain in the ass that I now work exclusively in Ableton and have done for a few years now...
I tried using logic again and everything seemed to take so much longer. I do love the quality of the FX in logic tho
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

rewire ableton to logic and try this:

- set the same sample and output folder in both applications

- select the desired regions of your track

- from the Arrange menu, choose Audio –> Convert Regions to New Audio Files

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3650

You`ll find the new files in the audio folder of the project and in the Media Bin. You can set names and Logic numbers the files sequentially. From the Media Bin you can save the files with other names. Or just move and rename them in the Finder.

With this technique each generated file is as long as the original region. You cannot use it if you have reverbs or delays in the track because the audio tails would be cut off. In this case you may first bounce the regions in place and cut them.

Bounce your Tracks without Effects, use them in Ableton, use FX on Ableton`s Rewire Tracks in Logic.

So if you have a working Project, switch all FX off, duplicate the FX settings (save Preset, or duplicate the Track), bounce Regions, start working in Ableton, mute the original tracks, and viola your Ableton plays your Loops from Logic