Archipel is looking for artists

- ask away
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: Archipel is looking for artists

Post by John Clees »

MagpieIndustries wrote:You didn't answer the question. A 10 year old label should be aware of copyright concerns, it's a complete mystery to me how you could not add this. Who owns a track submitted to this service?
why would you think it would be yours if you're submitting it to the label... seems like a contradiction of logic? you could a) keep it, release it yourself or b) attempt to negotiate before you actually release or give them the track, and they could say no.

techno is serious business.. especially when your trying to do a fun art project..

-surprised flower
Alert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alert »

John Clees wrote:techno is serious business

:green:
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

MagpieIndustries wrote:You didn't answer the question. A 10 year old label should be aware of copyright concerns, it's a complete mystery to me how you could not add this. Who owns a track submitted to this service?
Listen, PM if you have questions, if you're interested.
saul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by saul »

MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

Why PM? Whatst the big secret? Surely your policy is public information and may be of interest to others. This sh!t should be standard boilerplate on any web service page. Why are you not forthcoming with it?
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

MagpieIndustries wrote:Why PM? Whatst the big secret? Surely your policy is public information and may be of interest to others. This sh!t should be standard boilerplate on any web service page. Why are you not forthcoming with it?
You want to know how we work? Sure, why not, let's make it public:

- Artwork and mastering paid by the label.
- We promote your music with PullProxy and pay for it.
- Basis of coverage of royalties on a time lapse of 5 years as starting point.
- We offer statements yearly and pay artists who made a minimum of 40$.
- Revenues are shared 50% between artist and label.
- Label keeps 50% on third party licensing. But the artists keeps 70% if he finds the licensing.
- The artist is always welcomed to sell the music on his bandcamp and keep 100%.
- We give advances, but rarely.
- Artists are included in our community meaning they are invited to internal projects, vinyl releases, remix and so on.

That's pretty much how I've been working for the last 11 years. I'm not sure why you're going witch hunting about it.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Lastly, the reason why I wanted to PM me is to keep all this open to individual negotiation, which is something I am open with artists. Sharing things public doesn't always represent the reality. Ask labels, most of them will even refuse to say their starting negotiation basis because it is a case per case situation (eg. you don't treat a ambiant release as a dancefloor one).
Anyhow, I hope this clarifies.