Software drum machine/sampler w/ step sequencer?

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Software drum machine/sampler w/ step sequencer?

Post by AK »

Alright mate! Got several projects on the go at the minute, and I'm trying my hardest to use Live exclusively without rewiring to Reason. Thing is, ever since I used a computer to write music I've been using Reason so know it really well. I hate having to learn new things as I find I'm not getting as much time doing music as I'd like and the time I do get, I don't want it to be based around learning curves, I just wanna be making music.

Ive actually just been trying to use the Impulse in Live but I find the process a bit long in the tooth compared to Redrum. I was looking at Geist by FXpansion but it might be a bit overkill for my needs. It has a nifty sequencer though. I think the issue is I hate putting drums in a piano roll, it seems to ruin my workflow and I can't get things going as quick.

I use Live 9 but I don't delve as deep into it as I should which is probably half my problem ( again, the time thing ) I actually like the Impulse, just not lives midi/piano roll. What is it about that thing anyway, even when you snap to grid, some notes can be moved off accidently, it does my head in.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I'll see if I can knock up a drum sequencer as a midi rack for you ;)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Yeah? cool ! :)
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Yeah I didn't get a chance tonight, but I have a rough idea of how I would do it. There are probably a few things I'm forgetting, I'll know as I go. If it's any good I'll share it on here
akseltone
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by akseltone »

Battery is pretty standard, and i like alot the good ol 808 emulation - Nepheton by D16 Group
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

a little bit OT:

i stumpled often about reason 7+. Reasons ability of Midi seems to allow a new workflow in a analog vs. digital world.

Combine Redrum with the Midi Out Instrument et voila you have a Step Sequencer for your Hardware (Sampler, Synth or Drum Modules)!! Record Audio back to Reason. Very cool i think.

Also a nice combination is to connect a Cirklon, RS7000, RM1x or a Midi Seq Box to Reason!

tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Just use Reason and forget about Ableton. :)
Redrum is awesome, especially when you hook up some Matrix to get fills or polyrhythms. All the CV stuff is far too good to ignore.