Minimal Tech Tops any tips for hats/percussive sounds?

- ask away
Muskman
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Minimal Tech Tops any tips for hats/percussive sounds?

Post by Muskman »

Hey all I'll introduce myself I'm Benji and I've taken a slight musical detour into the realms of minimal techno-ish. After recently watching a Tale Of Us Boilerroom set I've been really uplifted and decided to have a pop myself!
I'm producing with Logic 9, Live and a bit of reason. I have a Juno 6 and loads of instruments laying around my studio.
Now I get chord progressions, arrangements etc I'm just in need of help with suspense building and piercing tops!
The thing I've noticed with Tale of Us live is that they really heavily use Traktors reverb to help build suspense before drops, this is something I've been incorporating into my productions what I'm struggling to nail is the tops! Maybe its my samples?
I'm dropping 808style hats into esx24, changing the filters, bitcrushing, distorting, eq ing and compressing like hell! Sending it to a reverb bus which opens as breakdowns progress oh and I've been using logics sample delay to widen them and give them more energy in the mix but the final piece just isn't up to scratch!
Now I have tech-top sample packs but rather than sample those I'd like to teach myself how to create those nice tech tops that carry through so many techno songs!
Anyways I hope someone out there can help me!
Regards people
Benji!
blank_slate
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Minimal Tech Tops any tips for hats/percussive sounds?

Post by blank_slate »

Last edited by blank_slate on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

blank_slate wrote:Don't worry about filters, bitcrushing, distortion, EQin. You're over-thinking things. Just use some 606/808/909 samples, mix them at the right volume and that's about it.
Limiting yourself to vintage roland samples can be cool sometimes, but there is a lot more to making good tops than that! Volume & filter envelopes, some eq, reverb, panning, velocity modulation, playing with grid/shuffle etc can all be useful tools ... but it is fairly intuitive and depends on your understanding of the tools.

It's also not necessary to do "modern" tops - lots of great tracks just have a simple drum machine pattern that carry the fundamental rhythm.

One of the best ``tricks`` is to use subtle reverb and saturation to put percussion in the same space.

I use a computer sampler to make most of my drums - even if they are sourced from a hardware synth or a recorded sound, I like to play around with them in that realm mostly because I am familiar with it, but it is fun to send the drum buss to some outboard processing.
Minimus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Minimus »

Thanks for posting this question.
As u know hi ends part give the real rhythm and movement to tracks.
And for me is really hard to make the perfect combination of this elements.
Open hats, closes hats and shakers can add only confusion if they aren't processed in the right way.

Will be cook and helpful if someone will upload some groove exemples project in ableton, logic, cubase or other daw.
Just to see and speak about differences of results.
I can post my exemples as soon as possible.
Someone agree?