Reference material

- ask away
EE10
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Reference material

Post by EE10 »

hello fellas!!

Where I could find reference material for mastering, I need tracks in good format and sound quality, not mp3's pls any help is wellcome..

Ed von Harden

Cheerss!!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Reference material

Post by AK »

Listen to the same type of music you're making. ???? You must have CD's in your genre surely? Amongst those, there's bound to be some that are well mixed and mastered which you can use as a reference or am I missing something?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

it worries me that you don't have any reference material and you're thinking about mastering.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

mp3 is perfectly fine for referencing the spectral balance of a track.

kind of an odd question. have you not considered buying a track you like off beatport and using it?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

mp3 compression will take out some frequencies and introduce inharmonic distortion.

if you're a beginner don't think about mastering. compare your work to similar material and listen on different systems and different volumes.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

I think some of the replies here are a bit unconstructive - what's wrong with sorting the guy out with a few examples of well-mastered tracks?

Yeah mastering's not necessarily something a beginner should be dabbling in if they're mostly focussed on making music but there's not much context here, maybe he simply wants to learn how to master...
SafeandSound
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SafeandSound »

I think it would be best to use high quality .wav files and probably start the referencing from the mix down. Only so much can be achieved in mastering even when you are highly experienced and professionally equipped for it. I would drag a reference music track into a new audio track in your DAW and pull down the volume of the reference to match that of your mixdown. (Ideally you are not mixing into a limiter) This way you can at least gauge approximate tonal balances.

cheers

SAS Professional mastering service
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Good advice. Much better there.....