Mastering and vinyl cutting.

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Mastering and vinyl cutting.

Post by eggnchips »

Hello chappies,

Those of you in the vinyl business, whom do you use for your mastering and cutting, and do you prefer to keep both under 1 roof?
I'm happy with the mastering and cutting house I use although they're quite expensive and I need to cut down costs.
60€ a track and 150€ for the lacquer is what I pay now.

Cheers.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Mastering and vinyl cutting.

Post by steevio »

eggnchips wrote:Hello chappies,

Those of you in the vinyl business, whom do you use for your mastering and cutting, and do you prefer to keep both under 1 roof?
I'm happy with the mastering and cutting house I use although they're quite expensive and I need to cut down costs.

Cheers.
i master myself, but if there is any tweaking to do, its done at the cutting room, no point in doing it elsewhere if you use a good quality cutting room.

i always attend cuts, and i normally pay around £220 (250 euros) for a 4 track ep (which includes any mastering)

so i'd say you're paying too much.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

steevio wrote:
eggnchips wrote:Hello chappies,

Cheers.
i master myself, but if there is any tweaking to do, its done at the cutting room, no point in doing it elsewhere if you use a good quality cutting room.

i always attend cuts, and i normally pay around £220 (250 euros) for a 4 track ep (which includes any mastering)

so i'd say you're paying too much.
With 60€ a track I meant pre-mastering so maybe my deal isn't so bad after all. Do you mind saying who you use Steevio?
Thanks.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

for my last two releases i used Optimum in Bristol;

http://www.optimum-mastering.com/

maybe i'm not the best artist to use as an example of their quality, because those two records were recorded straight in my studio with no compression, no EQ on anything, and no mastering at all in the cutting room, totally EQ and compression free from start to finish.

But quite a lot of the Bristol bass music guys use the studio. I could find out some examples and post them up, but of course you need to hear the vinyl if you really want to know what they're like.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

steevio wrote:for my last two releases i used Optimum in Bristol;

http://www.optimum-mastering.com/

maybe i'm not the best artist to use as an example of their quality, because those two records were recorded straight in my studio with no compression, no EQ on anything, and no mastering at all in the cutting room, totally EQ and compression free from start to finish.

But quite a lot of the Bristol bass music guys use the studio. I could find out some examples and post them up, but of course you need to hear the vinyl if you really want to know what they're like.
Thanks for that. Gonna check them out.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Cheers for this tip Steevio. I got in touch with them and they seem reasonably priced with good quality. I think I will give them a try in future.