Deep House

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Deep House

Post by AK »

Anyone here into Deep House? I use the term loosely because I'm not quite sure what I mean, perhaps I mean Techno? House? Tech House? I dunno, but I'm basically after new material to listen to for inspiration, I know what I like and what I don't like and although I hate pigeon holing, I feel it might be necessary in terms of a search criteria on say Juno Records to find new music to buy.

I've put the thread in Production because of two reasons.

1. My listening material has a huge influence on my ideas and inspiration, I often get excited by a something I hear which stands out for me and it drives me to create myself.
2. It's the place I frequent on here! :lol:

Not wishing to upset anybody with this but what I come across a lot lately is the reason why my listening material has a distinct lack of the very music I enjoy writing and that is the minimalistic, all-same-sounding so called House and Techno I get the option of buying from like Beatport and wherever. No offence to anyone who writes that sort of stuff, my taste in music is just personal and we all have our gripes but I don't hear much in the way of individualism. I have tracks that don't matter to me who wrote them because they have nothing that separates them from the last track I heard. Very similar production values, little or no music ideas, all trying to sound like each other and extremely predictable and boring. I swear if I hear another Cm chord stab with a 3/4 note delay I will scream.

I'm not looking to fill up my hard drive with 'all time greats' just some stuff that might be enjoyable from the normal routine I keep hearing. It could be a simple House tune with I-IV-V chords in, or it chord be completely experimental, it doesn't matter, just different sounding to the same sh!t I hear when looking to buy.

So what do I like co's I sound like a right grumpy pr!ck!!!! ???

I like music that pulls me in and makes me want to hear more, I like the stuff Steevio is doing at the moment, not specifically his style or that it's modular, it's the musical output and the sounds, and in contrast, I was totally in love with Jus Ed's tune on his CD I bought at Freerotation with the 'squeeze' vocal in it. Miles away from each other but both inspiring to me. I like a lot of Dan Berksons stuff he does with James What, quite predictable but musically satisfying. Basically, I'd be grateful to have suggested some artists I can listen to who are not trying to follow any musical fashion and are doing their own thing. That's probably hit the nail on the head actually.

I know a lot of you guys here do your own thing and that's why I enjoy talking music here, it's nice to see past the bullshit and get to hear such inspiring words and tracks. 8)

( I take it back about the chord thing, I'm just getting at the tracks that copy each others patterns more so )
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Deep House

Post by steevio »

AK mate thanks for the kind words bro,

there's nothing wrong with being a grumpy pr!ck man, the way you describe how you feel is very similar to how i feel, i just dont hear much music thats interesting or inspiring, a few years ago we had microhouse, minimal, dubstep, house, techno but all the experimerntal guys seemed to have moved on and it all seems to have blanded out into a kind of ploddy techno with no direction.
i think there is really good stuff out there, but its so buried amongst the mediocre rubbish that floods the market.
Problem is its just too easy to put out a tune that fits some blatant genre type with very little knowledge of how to make electronic music, the software makes it a piece of piss.

i'll get hung for this, but start buying vinyl and get into the rarer stuff that never appears on Beatport. people have to be very dedicated these days to put out vinyl, doesnt guarantee quality of course, but you'll not find that music anywhere else, and it's difficulty in production has a filtering effect on what makes it onto wax.

real Deep House from the late 1980s on was amazing, the retro revival that happened a few years ago, was a bit of knee jerk reaction when minimal was hi-jacked by the mainstream, and there was some interesting stuff early on, now that has been hi-jacked too, and it didnt have anywhere to go really like most revivals, but like everything kind of music there is quality deep house out there....which transcends trends and time.

The interesting stuff like on Underground Quality etc. is less genre specific, its deep house but with a techno feel, less of the 2/4 clap bollox, more interesting rhythms.

right now i'm listening to Secret Rhythms - Burnt Friedman and Jaki Leibezeit (from Can) that stuff is inspiring,
http://burntfriedman.com/now/576/#more-576

really interesting on a different tip is Felix Lenferink
https://soundcloud.com/felix-lenferink

how about Pangea on Hessle Audio on a darker tip
https://soundcloud.com/hessleaudio/sets ... ase-hes023

or for deep tribalness -Aybee
https://soundcloud.com/deepblak/aybee-l ... me-sf-4-13

bruv i could go on foever, get your head out of Beatport and genres. genrification kills music.

ps non of the above is deep house.
Last edited by steevio on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Deep house is the main genre I'm interested in. People like Kerri Chandler, Theo Parrish, Larry Heard, Moodymann etc are heroes to me.

Unfortunately, I suck at making it. I don't have the soul (or whatever it is that takes to make quality deep house). Whenever I try, it turns out as too bland, too generic, too white.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

broadcasting right now a deep house radio show; (20.00 to 22.00)

great deephouse DJ Matt Pond, and our Freerotation resident Joe Ellis, two quality DJs

http://www.myhouseyourhouse.net/

also check out Jane Fitz's Dirty Sounds Session at 22.00, Jane is an awesome House DJ
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

STL is the first thing that comes to mind. it's minimal, hypnotic, groovy, experimental and loosely fits as deep house, sometimes.

i'm not really sure what genre this track is but i like it. :D

JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

This track got me into a bit older swedish house stuff on svek records. really enjoying it at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0k3qzRdmCs
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

Maybe you should check out the guys smallpeople and christopher rau.
Some really nice deephouse. Really repetitive, but because of that nicely hypnotic
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Hey, cheers guys. Good stuff, missed that radio show unfortunately but got it bookmarked. I'm only on a USB dongle though so speed and gig limit for me at the moment.

I know there's really good stuff out there, just fed up of using all my data sifting through rubbish to find it.