Can One Find Spirituality Within Music?

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Can One Find Spirituality Within Music?

Post by AK »

Hoping for answers in terms of writing music rather than listening, hence my creating the topic in the production area of the forum.

Just how much does music mean to you, what does it do for you spiritually ( if there is such a thing? ) What is it about us that takes us from being insignificant moments in time, spinning on a rock in a ridiculously huge vacuum to being such self aware, creative beings who just want to make some noise and why does it have such an emotional impact on us as biological creatures?? Why do we find 'something' in harmony? Does harmony exist in nature, or do we just perceive it as harmonious because of the way our senses are designed?

I'm of the belief that everything is vibration, vibration equals sound, vibration makes form, so everything at its essence is sound, vibrating strings, energy - call it what you will. ( or the mechanics thereof. Sound as we know it, cannot happen without an observer ie: if a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound? - No it does not, it makes the MECHANICS that an observer picks up as sound via the ear/brain etc, but in itself it does not make a sound as we know sound)

Going somewhat OT but in order to get my point across I need to adopt a bit of my nihilistic philosophy ( which I am willing to have challenged btw ) We are after all, dust, here for no time at all on the universal clock, going nowhere, doing nothing and have no significant value to the order of things. Why then, do we embrace vibration and frequencies and get intrinsically related to them?

Does that make sense, been (*) a little bit today but it's clear as crystal in my head what I'm saying.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Can One Find Spirituality Within Music?

Post by steevio »

sorry had to remove comment. this is a big subject and requires thought.
Last edited by steevio on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

spirituality to me seems to be other people thinking I'm fucking nuts, and believing blindly in hope whilst others arm themselves for chaos.

But I do believe that art forms should contain special and beautiful things, that make people feel OK and help them to see what is real and what is not.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

steevio wrote:sorry had to remove comment. this is a big subject and requires thought.
I thought your original comment was a great answer. I have been doing some reading about spirituality recently and your answer pretty much sums up what the book I am reading talks about: being aware of one self in the presence and being at peace with it. There aren't many who can say they are happy with whom they are and if you can then you've nailed it.
It talks about stress and how stress doesn't exist in the physical world, it only exists in our minds.
Music could be seen as spiritual to some as it brings one in to the presence and what is happening right there in that moment.
I wish I could find it spiritual but I think too much when I produce and worry whether the music's any good or not. Something I know is wrong but my ego gets in the way. Trying to figure it out though.
Peace.
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

not in minimal techno anyway
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I liked your original comment Steevio, was genuine and from experience. I guess it's never possible to come up with an all encompassing statement about these kinds of things, certainly not if your intentions are to help people.

I think all genuine and truthful music has a spiritual component, sometimes it's from a simple honesty, or providing a safe space for someone to explore themselves, or both.

I love this Neil Young lyric. It reminds me a little of the positive energy in the techno experience.

"Don't let it bring you down
It's only castles burning,
Find someone who's turning
And you will come around."
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
I love this Neil Young lyric. It reminds me a little of the positive energy in the techno experience.

"Don't let it bring you down
It's only castles burning,
Find someone who's turning
And you will come around."
from the After The Goldrush album, one of my favourite every albums.

sorry i removed the comment but i didnt think it through...and now i cant even remember what i said :D (*)

@ magpie industuries - I think minimal techno has the potential to have a spiritual effect like any music, but i rarely hear it.
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

But can you find spirituality in the machines?
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !