How do you deal with writers block?

- ask away
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: How do you deal with writers block?

Post by simonb »

blue lantern modules wrote:Learning the concept of chord progression would make someone never have 'writers block'. After that it becomes so much music to make, so little time.
I've been trying for a while (in a more committed way recently) to get better at progressions and theory in general, especially with the more complex chords. It's good but not all great house/techno is based on chord progressions; even then it's nice if you can just play a couple of chords here and there that sound good together. It's definitely one good tool to have in the arsenal.

I bought an MPC recently and with getting that hooked up to my other gear I've been making lots of beats lately which I'm trying to finish. The quality isn't that high (yet ;)) but at least I'm making music...
Digital Fist
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Digital Fist »

Well I'm pleased to announce that I've just last weekend shifted an inexplicable 13 year mental block I've had and returned from my epic production hiatus to teach myself Ableton from scratch. Got my first semi-coherent stuff composed since 2001. Very happy with myself. :)
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

also I've learned. : not all days are creation/creative days. you have creative days and then you may have more techical days..

if you feel it's an off day, make it productive:
- Make a journal of the sounds of patches you like in keyboards/plug in's ect... (bass, strings, atmosphere, & weird ect..)
- create updated folders of kicks, hats, claps, you favor
- create custom drum kits.

saving time later on when the creative days are there, limited the down time to "find" the things you favor. have a day of organization. just accept it as a technical day in the studio getting organized. accepting it and then move forward. this way you not fighting the flow of energy that you have at that moment.

this way you felt instantly drawn to be productive and you will be and you're not forcing yourself to try to write something that isn't natural that day.

hope this may help..
Digital Fist
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Digital Fist »

Just bumping this. I'm still live and direct, starting to collaborate with people, and I fully intend to have some calm sh!t ready in time for a festival gig I've been booked for in May. :)
ISTILLFEELIT
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ISTILLFEELIT »

I studied jazz guitar and sax when I was in college and we all had to practice like crazy. I'm talking about 8 hours or more a day. A lot of the times I felt burnt out and had no creative juices. The one thing that helped was by taking a break form playing and just listening to my favorite tracks and that would usually fire me up.

Lately I've been watching Ben Klock and Rodhad on youtube performing at festivals to get creative again. All I keep thinking is, damn I can't wait to be on that stage performing!