Boss Distortion Pedals

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Boss Distortion Pedals

Post by eggnchips »

Just saw a Boss D51 Distortion pedal, a Boss Blues Driver and a Boss Metal Zone in my local Cash Converters (pawn shop) going for around 15-25 quid, and was wondering if you guys are using any distortion pedals with your outboard gear?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Boss Distortion Pedals

Post by oblioblioblio »

I've used some distortion pedals, some people swear by them, like Basic Channel and Fennesz, but those guys are using boutique distortion units.

Synths and distortion interact strangely, and it's not always a good mix. Most distortion pedals are designed for guitar, and whilst they can get incredible results on 6 strings of a guitar (especially if they're detuned... so thick and hazey), on synthesizers I haven't really heard an effect that I've liked enough to keep for a long period of time.

They often have pretty high noise floors as well, running on batteries at instrument level, and with shitloads of gain so all the hum gets amplified massively.

I wouldn't buy them, but the only way to really find out is to try these things. You'll get a much different sound than a plugin, that's for sure.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

I'd avoid the Metal Zone but you might have some luck with the others. Have fun! Remember though that these pedals are meant for hi-z, not line level ...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ive gots lots of different pedals, mostly left over from my guitarist days, and they all vary greatly and the results depend very much on what you're using them with.

I have the Boss DS1, it was my favourite pedal as a guitarist but doesnt work quite as well with synths, a bit buzzy. I also have the Metal one, its shite.

The only pedal i've had much success with in electronic music, is the Turbo Rat, its a beast.
it works so well with the TB303. gritty and grungey.

the only way to tell is to try them.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

the Ratt one is good on synths, even better if using a modular, where you can put it after the oscillator and before the filter (as well as the other way round).

It's a simple LED clipping circuit and it sounds great!

The other thing to try in a synth is to overdrive a filter.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

mehta wrote:I'd avoid the Metal Zone
My brother is a metal guitarist and he hates it, what chance do we have ;)
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

do not buy the metal zone. it has a very intense gain, but the tone on it is muddy. it is nearly impossible to record using this pedal and achieve a decent mix of the instrument.

i use the classic overdrive pedal (the orange one) and a big muff pedal for my guitar distortion. these 2 pedals will do everything you need, they have a decent tone, and they are cheap.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

thats a 100% thumbs down on the Metalzone, it really is a horrible pedal, even on a guitar.

agree on the Big Muff thats another classic.

also the Vox Tonebender is a classic, an acid techno band in the 1990s Cubic Space Collective released a track on my label called Tonebender, the entire mix was put through a Tonebender pedal, not a production technique you'll find advised anywhere, but it was a lovely exeprimental fucked up sound.